• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other contractors

I'm coming to the end of my contract after my customer exercised his consumer rights and went back into the free market and found themselves a cheaper contractor.

I had already turned down a rate cut (and bear no grudges) and happy to walk. The other contractor has holes in their skillset which probably explains the lower rate. Also the customer doesn't value technical skills and thinks any idiot off the street could do what we do.

Which brings me to my point. The other contractor has asked for full documentation and a training session off me. I have made a counter proposal that I could spend 5 days as a technical author then 5 days as a trainer and hence get 2 weeks extra revenue. The customer knocked this down as they are already counting the pennies.

The other contractor is still moaning about my "lack of help" and wants me to spend my last weeks helping him settle in. He also states that if the situation was reversed he would "go out of his way to help".

I feel I am totally in the right. This separates the businesses from the bum on seat guys. I know where he is coming from but it's worth 2 weeks pay to me.
    As he also reads this forum, which side are you on ?

If it is in your contract then do it.

If not then charge the extra. Point out the terms of your contract and state that as they are offering no good will then you do not feel the need either.

As an aside, how much of a cost is overlapping for 2 weeks as opposed to leaving your rate the same for the term?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LG is right.

If you have a plumber come round to install a new boiler that's one thing.

Towards the end of the job you could say to plumber "You are bloody expensive mate, I now want you to spend your time teaching me all about plumbing.".

After you have removed the spanner from your head, you'd get the message.

That's why it always makes sense to have a detailed schedule of develiverables on your (IR35 friendly) contract, stating exactly what will be delivered. If it does not state training then you have a strong argument against what the client is after.

Too many contractors accept contracts that just say "Programmer" or "IT Person" as the deliverables.

Comment

I'd feed the new person bulltulip. Why train someone to replace you? When the new person gets nowhere, the client will realise their mistake. Unless it's written in to your contract of course.

Comment

it's very simple..........

In this instance pride your-self as a contractor and dont ever bow your head to a client - the biggest problem I see today in this industry is that clients use/ abuse and then dispose and replace with cheaper labour.

Basically, lay down what you want as the client has indeed shafted you and forget about the extra cash (2 weeks) if anything just jump ship and look for your next contract or take a nice sun holiday as the weather right now in the UK is crap BUT most importantly keep your pride and respect for your-self.

I've seen the market trends change over the past 14 years and the way other wanna be contractors come into the game, bulltulip there way with CV's, sit down beside you on a project and have F**k all idea about what there doing and trying to wing it........... these F**cks need to be shafted and in my game thanfully the investment banks look more closely and hire/ fire..... hence, you can bluff for a week but no longer........

Tell the other contractor to F**k off over a cup of coffee [Make sure he/she pays for the coffee] and then have a cigarette and relax......

This is the way to handle the situation...........

Comment

be reasonable

Well the contract that's running out states nothing about documentation or training. When the parties originally signed it both the customer and I assumed that I would continue with support and further enhancements after my initial contract. Nothing was written down to state this.

I have delivered everything as per contract and happy to leave. Customer is happy for me to leave. The only person who isn't is the other guy who has the attitude, "Sorry you're leaving but be professional and give me everything you've got AND train me before you go. I would if I was in your position."

I stand by my business decision. Even now the customer doesn't want me to do documentation or training as they know I would charge. Do nothing for free

Comment

Just Walk............. and leave......... or even better explain that training/ documentation is not in your contract and if this is required then extra payment has to be made accordingly.

And for christ sake ........

Tell the other contractor to F**k off........... slimey little B**tard......

Comment

Originally posted by partimer
                Well the contract that's running out states nothing about documentation or training...

Training I can understand, but shouldn't documentation be a standard part of all developments, regardless of whether it is explicit in the contract or not?

Comment

Somebody had to post this....

I've just been taken on to replace a contractor who was proving too expensive for my client. They'd offered him a perfectly good rate but he's chosen to walk, on the other hand I don't know my @rse from a hole in the ground so was rather hoping that he can teach me everything he knows

He really is being very mean to me and wont help me at all. If I were in his shoes I'd help him and would be only too pleased to give him the benefit of all of my two years experience. All I'm asking for is full documentation and a training session. He has in turn offered to spend 5 days as a technical author (whatever that is) then 5 days as a trainer. But he wants to be paid for it. The cheek of it !
                  I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Tip him a wink with the line, "It's nothing personal. It's just business.".

Comment

Working...
                    X