• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you inside IR35 if doing contract work for one company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you inside IR35 if doing contract work for one company?

How the wealthy avoid paying tax | Money | guardian.co.uk

"This type of arrangement is only really worthwhile if you are earning in excess of £120,000 a year," says Frank Nash of accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg – and some accountants warn that HMRC is unlikely to let you get away with it if you are an employee or only doing freelance or contract work for one company. "There is anti-avoidance legislation to cover that, known as IR35," says Alex Henderson of PricewaterhouseCoopers. "It is really only available if you are a freelance worker working for a number of outlets."

Alex Henderson is a

Posted in general so maximum abuse can be heaped.

"Why pay tax at 50%, or even 40%, when by channelling all your earnings into a company you can avoid income tax altogether?"

Comment

I contract to a number of 'outlets' - sequentially!

Tone

Comment

I note the guardian have not invited comments so we cannot even go and point out how stupid the article is.

Comment

Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

Comment

Plan B - write an article for the guardian telling the truth about IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Plan BN66 - write an article for the guardian telling the truth about IR35.
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                How the wealthy avoid paying tax | Money | guardian.co.uk

"This type of arrangement is only really worthwhile if you are earning in excess of £120,000 a year," says Frank Nash of accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg – and some accountants warn that HMRC is unlikely to let you get away with it if you are an employee or only doing freelance or contract work for one company. "There is anti-avoidance legislation to cover that, known as IR35," says Alex Henderson of PricewaterhouseCoopers. "It is really only available if you are a freelance worker working for a number of outlets."

Alex Henderson is a

Posted in general so maximum abuse can be heaped.

Normally I'd say the guy fitted your description. But could it be that he is smoke screening the issue?

Comment

Well I think if you're following the debate on beefing up IR35 and Kate Cotterel's comments that when HMRC does take a contractor to court on IR35, that they usually win, I think that is more or less correct.

The best defence against IR35 is to have lots of contracts. They aint going to chase up each one of those, but if you've been sitting at the same site for a couple of years, I think you'll be a prime target for the newly beefed up IR35 hit squad.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Normally I'd say the guy fitted your description. But could it be that he is smoke screening the issue?
                    Ypou mean to give the guardian types something to moan about? Well you can't trust any of the papers these days - look at the g-spot telegraph article. I was quite proud of that find until NF bought facts into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X