PDA

View Full Version : Hello all - newbie

kettlebellBA
25th April 2012, 14:41
Hi all

As many seem to be I am a long time lurker, now a member.

1st contract verbally offered and accepted, paperwork going through, brolly account set up - lets see what the next couple of weeks have to offer.

Zippy
25th April 2012, 15:42
Hi all

1st contract verbally offered and accepted, paperwork going through, brolly account set up - lets see what the next couple of weeks have to offer.

Good show :wave:

Hope it all goes well for you.

oscarose
25th April 2012, 15:45
Good luck

:cheers:

BrilloPad
25th April 2012, 20:39
Hi all

Congratulations :yay:

kettlebellBA
27th April 2012, 13:11
Thanks all

So far so quiet.......

Lined up some on-line tests for another gig just in case, but whilst a paper contract is still lacking at least there doesnt seem to have been anything go wrong (yet)....

DS23
27th April 2012, 18:53
bingo!

kettlebellBA
10th May 2012, 10:16
Well....

Contract in place / agreement with brolly on portal
Rate is the same, duration is the same, payments terms are now as per verbal agreement (the brolly slipped a 3 week delay in, "admin error" lol)
Exiting permiedom tmrw
Start Contract on Monday.......

+ I also passed my online tests for another permie position and they want me to interview - its now not required but may try the lets talk in 4 months approach.

cojak
10th May 2012, 11:10
Well....

+ I also passed my online tests for another permie position and they want me to interview - its now not required but may try the lets talk in 4 months approach.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

norrahe
10th May 2012, 12:11
Well....

Contract in place / agreement with brolly on portal
Rate is the same, duration is the same, payments terms are now as per verbal agreement (the brolly slipped a 3 week delay in, "admin error" lol)
Exiting permiedom tmrw
Start Contract on Monday.......

Certainly, good luck but do keep your options open till you've passed your first month.

McDeeBop
31st May 2012, 11:41
Hi all

This is exactly where I am as well. Contract due to start on Wednesday of next week. First ever contracting role.

Good luck to us both.

oscarose
31st May 2012, 12:32
This is exactly where I am as well. Contract due to start on Wednesday of next week. First ever contracting role.

Good luck to us both.

Good luck!

:cheers:

kettlebellBA
23rd July 2012, 10:53
Hi all

Well here i a week number 11 already.....

All in all the first 10 weeks have largely been a busmans holiday for me, just with 2.5 hrs a day more travelling, and more than double the take home ££....

Agency / pimp
I must admit they have been spot on, no problems at all

Umbrella
Very good with only 1 problem - its still unresolved in my eyes (but not theirs), but its very low value ££ so am letting that lie until the next time the situation arises and i can hit them first and harder...

ClientCo
"home from home" - Whilst this is my first contract gig I have been in the sector for the last 6 years and working on similar programmes - I can quite easily predict the future and suggest a more proactive approach but so far this has fallen on deaf ears. I have learnt to keep my head down, do whats asked (mostly lol), I "add value" where its easy to do so and doesnt ruffle the feathers of my esteemed permie counterparts / "superiors", get my timesheets signed, top the warchest once my £ is cleared & enjoy the weekends..

All in all
move to contracting 8 / 10
current gig 6 / 10

BrilloPad
23rd July 2012, 11:14
Hi all

Well here i a week number 11 already.....

All in all the first 10 weeks have largely been a busmans holiday for me, just with 2.5 hrs a day more travelling, and more than double the take home ££....

Agency / pimp
I must admit they have been spot on, no problems at all

Umbrella
Very good with only 1 problem - its still unresolved in my eyes (but not theirs), but its very low value ££ so am letting that lie until the next time the situation arises and i can hit them first and harder...

ClientCo
"home from home" - Whilst this is my first contract gig I have been in the sector for the last 6 years and working on similar programmes - I can quite easily predict the future and suggest a more proactive approach but so far this has fallen on deaf ears. I have learnt to keep my head down, do whats asked (mostly lol), I "add value" where its easy to do so and doesnt ruffle the feathers of my esteemed permie counterparts / "superiors", get my timesheets signed, top the warchest once my £ is cleared & enjoy the weekends..

All in all
move to contracting 8 / 10
current gig 6 / 10

:yay:

Excellent news - and well done for taking the time to update us.

I000453
2nd October 2012, 19:07
Been contracting since 2002. No regrets. Much better work/life balance and more control of my life.

You've both made the biggest move - should be nearly all downhill from now on.

Put a little money aside for the leans times - then you can enjoy the times "between contracts" when/if they come.

And don't believe the pimps (recruitment agencies) most of the time. Stay polite but sceptic with the agents.

kettlebellBA
5th November 2012, 13:05
Well then....

25 week update......

largely as per previous post, however

1. I have been offered, and accepted a 10 week extension - puts food on the table over xmas.

2. I am at GovCo, and there is one almighty tax witchhunt going on. I believe that I am ok (onshore "kosher" brolly), but several of my peers are getting twitchy and it has become very clear just what a minefield IR35 is, especially in the current GovCo environment.

3. I am plucking up enough courage to post in "the big boys / girls" forums - gulp!!!

Thats it for now - but if anyone needs a good BA from Feb2013, and you cant find one, give me a shout!

ta ra a bit

cojak
5th November 2012, 14:08
I would try Test Please Delete II in Light Relief - you're always sure of a friendly welcome there :)

Good luck! :)

eek
5th November 2012, 14:52
I would try Test Please Delete II in Light Relief - you're always sure of a friendly welcome there :)

As CS try http://forums.contractoruk.com/light-relief/48919-test-please-delete-part-ii-2769.html we promise not to bite.

MarillionFan
5th November 2012, 15:41
Bloody newbies. Coming over here and taking our jobs. :tantrum:

cojak
5th November 2012, 16:29
Bloody newbies. Coming over here and taking our jobs. :tantrum:

MF's only joking :) (Because he'll be banned if he's not ;) )

SimonMac
5th November 2012, 17:06
Well then....

25 week update......

largely as per previous post, however

1. I have been offered, and accepted a 10 week extension - puts food on the table over xmas.

2. I am at GovCo, and there is one almighty tax witchhunt going on. I believe that I am ok (onshore "kosher" brolly), but several of my peers are getting twitchy and it has become very clear just what a minefield IR35 is, especially in the current GovCo environment.

3. I am plucking up enough courage to post in "the big boys / girls" forums - gulp!!!

Thats it for now - but if anyone needs a good BA from Feb2013, and you cant find one, give me a shout!

ta ra a bit

Why would we want a good BA when we can get Suity on the cheap?

cojak
5th November 2012, 17:59
SM is joking too... :mad:

SimonMac
5th November 2012, 18:05
SM is joking too... :mad:

Sorry Ma'am

kettlebellBA
6th November 2012, 09:23
MF's only joking :) (Because he'll be banned if he's not ;) )

nobody puts KettlebellBA in the corner - unless they sign my timesheets lol

SimonMac
6th November 2012, 11:20
nobody puts KettlebellBA in the corner - unless they sign my timesheets lol

:laugh

You'll get on fine

BrilloPad
6th November 2012, 12:35

Newbies - yes. Mods - are you sure? :wink