• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you steal from a self serevice till?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you steal from a self serevice till?

One third of shoppers admit stealing using self-service tills - Telegraph

Personally I have never even considered this (maybe I am a bit niave?). Seems to me that if(when?) you get caught the consequenes are not worth the risk.

But it always worries me that I might make an honest mistake and get caught.

The world's going to Hell in a handcart!

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Personally I have never even considered this (maybe I am a bit niave?). Seems to me that if(when?) you get caught the consequenes are not worth the risk.

No it's not worth the risk. However as a kid I used to work as a messenger in the city and at the time unbeknownst to me I use to carry hundreds of millions of pounds worth of bearer bonds around allday. If i had realised that they were cashable I would have been off to heathrow on the next plain to Brazil A guy actually managed it. He picked up his first run totted up what was there and did a runner. Then he called the bank in question and offered them half of the cash back for immunity. The lucky sod got it too £40million in the 80's was not a bad deal...

Comment

Damn right. It's the law of the street innit.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
          The world's going to Hell in a shoppingcart!

Tone
          FTFY

Comment

Personally I have never even considered this (maybe I am a bit niave?). Seems to me that if(when?) you get caught the consequences are not worth the risk.

No, but then again I wouldn't commit fraud, shoplift or burgle. Nor would I take kickbacks or contract bribes and I've been offered some tidy ones over the years.

I always look at the long term, possible consequences, self respect and the affect it would have on my family.

I've never been unfaithful to my wife either as I couldn't imagine putting that much hurt on her.

So basically an honest (reasonably) and morally upstanding citizen (reasonably)
            Last edited by Diver; 26 April 2012, 07:37.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Nope. Never occurred to me.

I do have conversations with them though.

Comment

No I wouldn't. I have been tempted to go medieval on them a few times though. I suspect the resulting damage would be viewed less kindly than accidentally half inching a packet of smarties.

Actually, it's most times. The ones in Waitrose are completely unable to deal with the fact you may have bought more than one bags worth of shopping. These days I just stand in the queue.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  I do have conversations with them though.
                  WK2P2S. It usually ends with me and a few other people wondering if I have Tourettes.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

This may be apocryphal (It was told to me in the early eighties by someone that purported to know the gentleman concerned)

In the late seventies an IBM systems programmer in the UK devised a system of writing a certain percentage of large investment banking transactions to a hidden sector on the boot disk. He scarpered with something like £27 million but they gave him amnesty as long as

1) He told him how he did it.
                    2) He didn't mention the fact their banking systems were not foolproof.

Don't flame me if I'm wrong, I just remember it being a story I was told at the time.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X