• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Little Englander's attitude to (un)employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Englander's attitude to (un)employment

From a web forum:

As I've never claimed benefits before I wondered if anyone could shed some light on my present situation.

Basically I lost my job working for a supplier of ******* 12-18 months ago and havn't managed to re-enter the workforce full-time since. Despite working on ******* I was able to accrue ~£14k in cash savings and at the mo have no dependents.

My dilemma is this: I can't be bothered to compete with thousands of Poles for more crappy low-end jobs only to be 'rewarded' with cramped living conditions and a sense I'm going nowhere. I either need a job that pays a living wage and affords a respectable standard of living or I can't be bothered. If I can't get a good job how easy would it be to get the state to cover my basic living costs? I take it my savings and lack of dependents will count against me?

I don't see the point in playing the game honestly anymore -my morals went out the window with Labour's bailouts - and as such have no qualms about living off the state.
    There are millions out there genuinely thinking that the job market is booming and the welfare system is too generous with the chavs, save changing their minds when they actually lose their job and then decide to "Climb Aboard The Benefits Gravy Train" like the person above.

Discussion.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Was this sasguru or suity?
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

How Easy Is It To Climb Aboard The Benefits Gravy Train? - House Price Crash forum
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
        From a web forum:.
        CUK Spring Holiday anyone?

To be be serious, with that amount of savings the person concerned has probably paid quite a bit of tax and NI already, but will be rewarded with zero support from the state.

Along with angry questions like "Why didn't you apply before?".

It is however worth signing on to get NI credits, which a lot of folks with too much cash in the bank to receive benefits don't realise. If you don't sign on, you might just find the state asking you for missing NI contributions as well.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I like this answer

You need to work for the UN, Brussels, the Armed Forces, an MP, civil service if you want the gravy train.

Crime also pays. Tobacco from Antwerp, mary jane from Amsterdam, liquor from Calais.

Or fraud in the City.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Can we change the topic to "A Little englander's attitude" - and we don't even know if thats true either.

Yes the benefit system is open to abuse
            Yes people take the micky

But NO you can't label the "underclass" as all being the same like some seem to want to believe.

Personally, I think an unaddressed problem is the foreign nationals (ok ok... EU but barely) who migrate here and take the full on mick out of our system.

I've a romanian woman in my town centre, who pedels "bought/stolen" big issues (shes not a valid seller, no authorisation) - has 5 kids that get benefits , her fella drops her off in an X5 - before taking others round berkshire.

I've asked her for her ID to sell, she refuses, I went to the police (I was on the bench, lot of time on my hands) - they basically said "oh I think we've checked her, shes fine" - Big Issue think different.

Reported it as fruad as a crime, nearly got laughed out of the station.

lets have a go at these people who see England as a soft touch to give them free support. Call me extreme, but seriously our Welfare State is for our citizens, not anyone who wishes to cross the bloody border. Its stupid.

What really gets my goat, is I've only ever managed to get 8 weeks worth of dole out of the Job Centre, despite being unemployed for 2 years at one stage...

Comment

That's quite worrying really as it shows that the whole work ethic of the country is changing (if we can generalise).

Oh, well, I did manage to nick a suitable avatar piccy from someone on that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                Can we change the topic to "A Little englander's attitude" - and we don't even know if thats true either.

Yes the benefit system is open to abuse
                Yes people take the micky

But NO you can't label the "underclass" as all being the same like some seem to want to believe.

Personally, I think an unaddressed problem is the foreign nationals (ok ok... EU but barely) who migrate here and take the full on mick out of our system.

I've a romanian woman in my town centre, who pedels "bought/stolen" big issues (shes not a valid seller, no authorisation) - has 5 kids that get benefits , her fella drops her off in an X5 - before taking others round berkshire.

I've asked her for her ID to sell, she refuses, I went to the police (I was on the bench, lot of time on my hands) - they basically said "oh I think we've checked her, shes fine" - Big Issue think different.

Reported it as fruad as a crime, nearly got laughed out of the station.

lets have a go at these people who see England as a soft touch to give them free support. Call me extreme, but seriously our Welfare State is for our citizens, not anyone who wishes to cross the bloody border. Its stupid.

What really gets my goat, is I've only ever managed to get 8 weeks worth of dole out of the Job Centre, despite being unemployed for 2 years at one stage...
                Whether native or alien there is a portion of the population that will always take the piss when the benefits are so generous, and then the liberals get all up in arms when they are try to be changed.

I am sure for every "Romanian" like the one you mention, there is a Brit taking the piss in similar circumstances
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

see it everyday working in the public sector, you cannot blame the imigrants all they are doing is working a system that allows them to get the benefits.

its the system thats wrong and until they do something with it there will always be this attitude from both english and imigrants

Unfortunately this was a conversation that they should have had 10 years ago not now, they system should have been changed when the borders were opened, its to late now

And remember your quite within your rights to move to romania and claim their benefits

Comment

He may have a valid point. Current client has more poles than brits on the shop floor.

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X