• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitors What Are My Rights ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors What Are My Rights ?

Having a total nightmare with a lease hold flat sale, basically, my freeholder made me pay £500 for a liciense to sell the place, it needs to be signed by me, my buyer and the freeholder. It was sent to the freeholder on the 10th May, now the 25th May and its not been returned and it all looks like its going tits up.

My solicitor has rung my freeholders solicitor to find out whats happening, and they never respond. I even went to their office and the solicitor dealing with it claimed it was his colleague dealing with it. All I need to know is where this frigging piece of paper is. The solicitors my freeholder is using is tulip no estate agents will go near them but I have to deal with them.

Does anyone know if I have any rights to get this info from them, considering I paid £500 for it, though these were the freeholders 'costs'. They just wont respond, the thing that makes me think they are doing this on purpose is the fact that when I paid the £500 I had to agree if it fell through and I got a new buyer I would have to pay £500 again. When I went to their office you could tell they were crap.

Any advice, Ive cant go in all guns a blase as when it comes down to it like or not, these mother ****ers are the ones who effectively decide if it all goes through.
    Last edited by Ivor1; 25 May 2006, 11:14.

The Law Society

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
      Having a total nightmare with a lease hold flat sale, basically, my freeholder made me pay £500 for a liciense to sell the place
      Presumably there is a clause in the lease to that effect?

Were you made aware of this when you purchased the place? I think this clause is so unusual it should have been pointed out to you by the original conveyancing solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
        Presumably there is a clause in the lease to that effect?

Were you made aware of this when you purchased the place? I think this clause is so unusual it should have been pointed out to you by the original conveyancing solicitor.

Yes there was, not fussed about the £500, Im fused about the fact they wont communicate anything to me or my solicitors. So angry over it I wanted to punch the solicitor who lied to me, but I had to be nice

Comment

Am I missing something here?

It may not be what you want to here, but in what way are somebody else's solicitors required to do anything for you? They are contracted by, and responsible to, the freeholder.

If I found out that any solicitors I had hired, had given any information direct to another party, I would expect to be able to sue them.

If you had arrived at my offices asking those questions, I would have politely told you that I wouldn't answer any questions and shown you the door.

Your issue is with the freeholder. Is there a contract involved with the £500 given to him? If yes (or even an implied one) you may be able to do something about it.

Comment

A friend had a run in woth a soliciter, he tried the law society.

After the law society doing SFA except telling him to take legal action against the soliciter was that they are just an old boys club looking after their own.

Good luck
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Apperently I have 'NO' right to expect my freeholders solicitor to reply WTF !

Comment

Originally posted by SameOldStory
                Am I missing something here?

It may not be what you want to here, but in what way are somebody else's solicitors required to do anything for you? They are contracted by, and responsible to, the freeholder.

If I found out that any solicitors I had hired, had given any information direct to another party, I would expect to be able to sue them.

If you had arrived at my offices asking those questions, I would have politely told you that I wouldn't answer any questions and shown you the door.

Your issue is with the freeholder. Is there a contract involved with the £500 given to him? If yes (or even an implied one) you may be able to do something about it.
                Yes I agree, but all my freeholder has to do is sign the form to say yes I can sell the flat, there is no financial gain for him at all apart from the £500 I paid. The only reason my freeholder would do this in my opionion is to make the sale fall through so he can charge me another £500. He is totally screwing me and the law seems to allow him to do that !!!!!!

Comment

alright, I'm sure you are going to beat me for this,

but what do you mean when you say...

"my freeholder made me pay £500 for a liciense to sell the place, it needs to be signed by me, my buyer and the freeholder",

Do you own the flat ? Then you are the freeholder ?

Confused from Germany.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    alright, I'm sure you are going to beat me for this,

but what do you mean when you say...

"my freeholder made me pay £500 for a liciense to sell the place, it needs to be signed by me, my buyer and the freeholder",

Do you own the flat ? Then you are the freeholder ?

Confused from Germany.

Milan.
                    milan go climb your tree untill there's another tape to change.

Ivor appears to be a lease holder, in that he owns a timed lease on a flat that he is selling. THe Freeholder owns the building / ground the flat is on.
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X