PDA

View Full Version : USB dongle for transmitting music in the car

milanbenes
27th April 2012, 07:13
Morning Experts,

I have me mp3's and I'd like to play them in the car

is there a dongle powered by a fag lighter than can be used to locally transmit from a usb hard disk on fm so that the car radio can pick it up and play it out ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Sands of Time
27th April 2012, 08:14
Morning Experts,

is there a dongle powered by a fag lighter than can be used to locally transmit from a usb hard disk on fm so that the car radio can pick it up and play it out ?

Thanks,

Milan.

What like this?

Bluetooth® FM Transmitter with USB, SD Card Slots and Aux In Socket : FM Transmitters : Maplin Electronics (http://www.maplin.co.uk/bluetoothandreg-fm-transmitter-with-usb-sd-card-slots-and-aux-in-socket-505488)

Tone

MarillionFan
27th April 2012, 08:26
I think in Milans case he means

http://www.theusbsoundcard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Antique-Gramophone.jpeg

alluvial
27th April 2012, 08:33
Morning Experts,

Thanks,

Milan.

Check your mobile phone. It may have an FM transmitter on it that you can use. I used to use the one on my old N97 to play my music over the car radio. Just about the only thing an that phone that worked properly.

Trouble with some of these transmitters is that you need to be able to get the car ariel to pick up the signal and this can be awkward sometimes. In my Peugeot it was okay if I put the phone on the dash, in the Voyager I had to put the phone towards the back of the car to get the signal picked up.

Spacecadet
27th April 2012, 08:44
Morning Experts,

Thanks,

Milan.

If you've got a tape drive in your car (and I know they were still fitted well into the 2000's) then try one of these:
Sony Car cassette adaptor: Sony: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CPA9-AE-Car-cassette-adaptor/dp/B00007EDLW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335516225&sr=8-2)

The sound quality is a lot better than the FM transmitters I've seen/used and you're not concerned about finding an empty bit of the broadcast range

milanbenes
27th April 2012, 08:48
unfortunately the datsun doesn't havea tape player,

it doesn't have any visible aerial either god knows where the aerial is

regarding local fm transmission and the radio picking it up, the radio picks up the signal from the roof mounted (apline) dvd player without a problem

don't really want to use the phone for that

the car's got loads of fag lighters all over the place so if there's some device I can plug a usb drive into and that device could be powered by a fag lighter and transmit to the radio, well, that's what I'm after

Milan.

SimonMac
27th April 2012, 09:13
If its just from a hard drive to a FM Radio you are out of luck, the bluetooth one is from a phone and most other ones like the Griffin iTrip need a headphone out jack

DimPrawn
27th April 2012, 10:05
You can save a bit of money Milan by just humming and whistling your favourite tunes whilst in the car.

HTH BIDI