• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from HMRC

Mr Gonzo

This notice requires you, by law, to make a return of your taxable income and capital gains, and any documents requested, for the year from 6 April 2011 to 5 April 2012.
    FFS

I have been out of the UK for three complete tax years and not set foot in the UK once in that time. I have no income that is taxable in the UK. My limited company was dissolved yonks ago.

I owe zero to HMRC, unless I don't return the damn form by the end of October in which case they will charge me 100 quid.

Did you fill in the P-whatever to let them know you've left the country? Are they sending this to a foreign address? An email/call will probably get them to get over it.

Comment

Bloody tax exiles.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Call them up, resist the temptation to tell the to **** off, and explain that you have no uk assets, no uk derived income, and therefore have no tax liability whatsoever. That's what I did and haven't received a tax return in years.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          Did you fill in the P-whatever to let them know you've left the country? Are they sending this to a foreign address? An email/call will probably get them to get over it.
          Form P85 - yes, did that at the time.

Yes, they are sending the tax return to an overseas address.

At least they have included the residence pages in the form that they send me (they did that last year too).

They will get the form back with a whole load of zeros on it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Call them up, resist the temptation to tell the to **** off, and explain that you have no uk assets, no uk derived income, and therefore have no tax liability whatsoever. That's what I did and haven't received a tax return in years.
            +1. If you keep filling it in the computer will probably keep sending them.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              They have included an insert with a phone number to call if I think that I don't have to do a self-assessment return.

I was tempted to call them but then there is always a voice inside my head saying

You don't want to draw any attention to yourself until six years have passed safely by.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                They have included an insert with a phone number to call if I think that I don't have to do a self-assessment return.

I was tempted to call them but then there is always a voice inside my head saying
                I think you're being overly cautious but your call

Comment

Call the number, and sort it out. Putting 0's in is more likely to draw attention yourself as that might get flagged as being unusual, which might trigger an investigation. If you call the "bird" in admin she's more likely to deal with your P85 in a routine manner.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 April 2012, 11:41.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Send them a cheque for 1p. That'll probably throw them off the scent for years!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X