• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question to landlords... claiming on insurance due to tenants trashing the place

Our tenants have out of the blue left, in fact the agent literally got the key through the letterbox one morning. The house and garden is in a disgusting state, they have pinched all the white goods and other stuff (even curtains FFS), and done horrible unauthorised decorations and alterations.
    A thorough clean and a bit of touching up would come under expected wear & tear, especially in this deprived area, but this is just ridiculous.

So we're contacting our insurers but I've no experience making a claim to know what to expect. Any advice or anecdotes from those who let property would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Our tenants have out of the blue left, in fact the agent literally got the key through the letterbox one morning. The house and garden is in a disgusting state, they have pinched all the white goods and other stuff (even curtains FFS), and done horrible unauthorised decorations and alterations.
    A thorough clean and a bit of touching up would come under expected wear & tear, especially in this deprived area, but this is just ridiculous.

So we're contacting our insurers but I've no experience making a claim to know what to expect. Any advice or anecdotes from those who let property would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    what kind of deposit did you have?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Oh and I know of a landlord whose tenants who did a flit similar to yours... the feckers took the PVC windows and front door with them!
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        what kind of deposit did you have?
        Only a couple of weeks', since it's let by the week. About enough to cover the last bit of rent they didn't pay. Actually that's another thing to add to the list, again on its own chasing 2-3 weeks' rent is pointless but if we're making a claim...

Comment

on my last (and only claim) the first thing the insurers asked was size of deposit and who was protecting the deposit. it wasnt in a government protected scheme (as below) so they pointed to the conditions of insurance and refused to pay out.

Home - Deposit Protection Service

Deposit Protection Scheme | Service for Landlords, Agents and Tenants | My Deposits

Strangely enough, I changed the property insurer and it was not a requirement under the new insurers T&C's although I have now joined a scheme as it is a legal requirement
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Deposit is in DPS. In fact I thought that was a legal requirement now although how far back that goes I couldn't say.

Comment

Ive heard similar things before. One guy/landlord I worked with, even had tenants steal the boiler and copper piping! Fecking pikies huh?!

I would be wary of claiming on your insurance, your premiums may rise a lot. Much more than a days cleaning and white emulsion.

Although this can happen sometimes, get a better agent, one that does proper checks, guarantees your rental income, etc etc. They may charge a couple of percent more, but that is better than redecorating each time.

Comment

It's an area where most are DSS (on benefits) so checking for a better class of tenant is a bit difficult.

Also, you're right on one point - with it being a low-end area it doesn't have to be a high-end finish. getting all the piles of rubbish cleared, the place thoroughly cleaned and quickly painted, and the garden trimmed back probably isn't that expensive. Any one thing we'd not think about claiming, but all together it's a fair amount of stuff.

Maybe get a quote from a local guy who knows what's expected in these kind of places rather than for a middle-class finish

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Only a couple of weeks', since it's let by the week.
                  You let the place by the week?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You let the place by the week?
                    He's probably got a sofa you could have

Comment

Working...
                    X