• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoicing US firm + VAT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoicing US firm + VAT?

I am working remotely, from the UK, for a US based company as a consultant. They only have US offices.
    I am charging an hourly rate

but when it comes to making the invoice, do I have to include VAT @ 20%? I AM VAT registered in the UK (my own LTD company)

Thanks

HMRC VAT people are very helpful on their helpline.

As they are closed now you can have a look at the web pages here - HMRC international VAT

I tend to use google to find the relevant pages on the HMRC.

(BTW I can give you the answer but I won't as otherwise when you are stuck again you won't know where to look, who you should ask and make the effort to do so.)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was only asking politely.... I did find this forum from google too you know!

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
        I was only asking politely.... I did find this forum from google too you know!
        I know you are but you had to wait for the answer when if you went on to the HMRC VAT pages you would have found the answer there within a few minutes.

Also sometimes it's actually good to talk to the people who run the show. HMRC VAT people are very helpful as long as you aren't trying to evade paying VAT. If you are then they will come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Comment

Thanks SueEllen, I appreciate that. Just didnt know hence why I asked here where the experts reside

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
            Thanks SueEllen, I appreciate that. Just didnt know hence why I asked here where the experts reside
            It may be worth your while going on a free VAT course.

You get to ask awkward questions and you also get told how much information you should reveal to HMRC VAT which is useful if the amount of VAT you pay to them fluctuates due to who your customers are.

Comment

There are place of supply rules. In all likelihood, as a B2B transaction, the place of supply of the services will be the U.S. and the services will be outside of the scope of VAT. In that case, you will not charge VAT.

Comment

Working...
              X