PDA

View Full Version : London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats

TimberWolf
29th April 2012, 20:49
BBC News - London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17884897)

Wouldn't it be misconstrued as cheating if say the leading 9 runners in the 100m sprint were vaporised and the 10th UK runner achieved a stunning, if slightly charred, victory?

TimberWolf
29th April 2012, 20:57
Never fear, friendly Olympic Bobbies will be on hand to provide a calming presence.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01498/armed-police_1498093a.jpg

AtW
29th April 2012, 20:58
So, all the terrorists need now is to ambush small defensive team at one of those houses and start firing up missiles??!?!

:eek:

TimberWolf
29th April 2012, 20:58
So, all the terrorists need now is to ambush small defensive team at one of those houses and start firing up missiles??!?!

That doesn't sound very sporting.

AtW
29th April 2012, 21:05
Never fear, friendly Olympic Bobbies will be on hand to provide a calming presence.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01498/armed-police_1498093a.jpg

WHS

I feel safer already :smokin

Mr.Whippy
29th April 2012, 21:10
estate resident Brian Whelan said firing the missiles "would shower debris across the east end of London".Like you'd be able to notice the difference in that shithole anyway

Sockpuppet
29th April 2012, 21:46
They've started right on time winding up the media machine :smokin

Have people never wondered why they put the dates/times when nuclear subs go to and from Faslane in the papers and get the familys to wave the subs off. After all they're supposed to be "stealthy".

Simple answer. What point is a deterrent if no-one knows its there. Half the stories you hear from now to Opening Ceremony will be strategically placed to inform anyone of trying anything stupid.

FWIW a HVM battery on the roof of a tower block = minimal strategic importance. Telling people a missile battery is in London = much greater strategic importance.

AtW
29th April 2012, 22:00
Have people never wondered why they put the dates/times when nuclear subs go to and from Faslane in the papers and get the familys to wave the subs off. After all they're supposed to be "stealthy".

1) It's an old tradition to do that
2) you can't hide the fact that sub leaving/entering dock anyway

Diver
29th April 2012, 22:06

hmm! Sounds like a plan

Achmed the dead terrorist

Silence! I kill you!:glasses

Sockpuppet
29th April 2012, 22:16
1) It's an old tradition to do that
2) you can't hide the fact that sub leaving/entering dock anyway

OK given, but its still a valid point (especially as its a publicly acknowledged tactic)

Troll
29th April 2012, 22:19
All a bit like putting the tanks outside Heathrow in 2003.. a pointless show of force

TimberWolf
30th April 2012, 07:39
They've started right on time winding up the media machine :smokin

Simple answer. What point is a deterrent if no-one knows its there. Half the stories you hear from now to Opening Ceremony will be strategically placed to inform anyone of trying anything stupid.

FWIW a HVM battery on the roof of a tower block = minimal strategic importance. Telling people a missile battery is in London = much greater strategic importance.

Ah, but terrorist also know that. Unless you think they are trying to put the willies up the paying customers.

Maybe it's the old magicians trick. As you watch the gesticulating hand with the hanky in it, the other hand is pushing the button of a tactical intercontinental nuclear missile.

TimberWolf
30th April 2012, 07:40
Excuse me officer, could you tell me the time please?

Yes.

<blam>

Two glocks?

Hammer time?

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 07:40

I think only you and churchy would consider 10 armed officers( who are bored and trigger happy) a small force.

Of course the Argies would be able to overwhelm them - but they have to get there first.

TimberWolf
30th April 2012, 07:55
More like the Lone Ranger.

Hi Ho silver! Away!

Who was that masked man?

I don't know, but I bet he will get some funny looks if he pops in to the bank during his tea break.

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 07:56
I don't know, but I bet he will get some funny looks if he pops in to the bank during his tea break.

What a great idea for a bank robbery - go dressed like that.

TimberWolf
30th April 2012, 07:59
What a great idea for a bank robbery - go dressed like that.

Yep, but be sure to have the word "police" written on your gun festooned amour plated jacket, lest they they think you are a robber.

TimberWolf
30th April 2012, 08:41
The Daily Mail has helpfully provided pictures of what the Olympics could look like:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/29/article-2136795-12D5DA3B000005DC-112_636x328.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/29/article-2136795-00460B0700000258-641_468x286.jpg

I don't see any way we can lose medals now.

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 09:09
The Daily Mail has helpfully provided pictures of what the Olympics could look like:

Having seen those pictures, shouldn't they be stationed on top of Canary Wharf?

AtW
30th April 2012, 10:36
Having seen those pictures, shouldn't they be stationed on top of Canary Wharf?

Why?

amcdonald
30th April 2012, 11:38
Considering our government would have the most to gain from a terrorist attack, I'm more worried they'd let one happen as an excuse to enact even more draconian legislation

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 12:07
Why?

Isn't height an advantage? And canary wharf is not so far - well it looks quite close from the pictures.

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 12:08
Considering our government would have the most to gain from a terrorist attack, I'm more worried they'd let one happen as an excuse to enact even more draconian legislation

And hence get re-elected. Yep - I can see that.

AtW
30th April 2012, 12:08
Isn't height an advantage? And canary wharf is not so far - well it looks quite close from the pictures.

Yes but MoD would have to pay a lot smaller compensation in case somethings goes wrong in a tulipy district of London rather than in Canary Wharf :eyes