• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie: contract in foreign language and dates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: contract in foreign language and dates

Hi all,

I created my uk Ltd a few weeks ago (I've recently relocated here).

I recently received a contract from a company in an EU country. The contract is not in English. It is a standard contract - google translation seems to be fine.

Should I ask for an English translation? Will I need to sign both language versions?

Also, I started working before establishment of my Ltd, though I invoiced after my Ltd creation date. Unfortunately the contract paperwork is lagging behind. Should I request the contract timing to align with my incorporation date? Or is it ok to sign off on it from the time I started work?

Thanks I advance

Bearing in mind you are legally bound to this document are you prepared to accept a Google translation of it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vern View Post
      Hi all,

I created my uk Ltd a few weeks ago (I've recently relocated here).

I recently received a contract from a company in an EU country. The contract is not in English. It is a standard contract - google translation seems to be fine.

Should I ask for an English translation? Will I need to sign both language versions?

Also, I started working before establishment of my Ltd, though I invoiced after my Ltd creation date. Unfortunately the contract paperwork is lagging behind. Should I request the contract timing to align with my incorporation date? Or is it ok to sign off on it from the time I started work?

Thanks I advance
      I personally would ask for an English translation of the contract and sign the English one.

You've started work on the contract before setting up your Ltd but they haven't yet sent contract paperwork through. So, your working on your first contract with having signed anything yet??? I think your mad.

Your contract begin date is the contract begin date, you can't expect client co to adjust the date you started just because you were too slow to setup your Ltd?? Plus, if the contract begin date is changed to lets say 1 week after you actually started (i.e in line with your incorporation date), then what's to stop client co. refusing to pay you for any work done before contract start date? no contract, no pay.

Which brings me nicely to my next point, why the hell are you working right now when you don't have a contract? Any insurance (that you probably yet don't have) is invalid as you aren't contracted to be onsite. You do have insurances for your Ltd don't you or were you waiting until after you need them to get them setup then ask client co to report the claim date to align with your insurance setup date or just after????

FFS
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Vern View Post
        Should I ask for an English translation?
        No. Get a local lawyer familiar with the law of the country where the contract is to be enforced (jurisdiction of the courts, etc.) to talk you through the detail. It shouldn't be too hard to fin a lawyer who speaks English.

Comment

When I've had to sign a contract in a language I'm not fluent in, I've simply gone through it with a native. You can also get certified legal translations, but that'll cost.

When your company is set up, you issue an invoice for any work carried out. While it's not very wise to start work without a company or contract, it's unlikely to cause you to not get paid for work you did. AIUI, there is a basic legal principle that no-one works for free. If the work is done, you expect payment.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you are also going to be working in that other EU country then you may need to register your Ltd in that country. You can use your Ltd anywhere in the EU but you need to register it with the local tax authorities if you are working there, even if you are there for less than 183 days. Mostly it is best to use a local solution.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 May 2012, 06:57.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X