• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End the scourge of divorce - what a muppet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End the scourge of divorce - what a muppet

Sir Paul Coleridge: 'End the scourge of divorce' - Telegraph

Sir Paul Coleridge will formally establish the Marriage Foundation, an independent charity that will champion the institution of marriage as the "gold standard for relationships".

It is unusual for a serving judge to speak out in such a way but Sir Paul, who sits in the Family Division, has been outspoken on the issue of marriage and divorce. Last year, he suggested that people needed to re-educate themselves about the value of stable relationships for the good of society and warned that getting a divorce was easier than getting a driving licence.

IMO it is worse for children to stay in a bad atmosphere where there is continual argument. Of course in an ideal world married couples with kids would get on. And no-one would die of hunger. And everyone on cuk would get on.

What Sir Paul could do is to speak out against the adversorial family court system. The more bitter the divorce the more lawyers make. Its a bit like finding your house is on fire and call the fire brigade who turn up and pour napalm on it.

How about starting up a charity with the opposite views? The UK has one of the most medieval, repressive and contentious divorce laws that brings out the worse when couple break up. The only people who gain are the lawyers. It is time that the government and church treat adults as adults and leave matters to themselves. In some US states it only takes one partner to ask for a divorce and it will be granted because the courts believe you can’t for a couple to live together if one partner does not want to. If couple knew that any one partner could get and instant divorce; perhaps they would work better at the marriage rather than getting the maximum material benefits out of it.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Penalise both sides in case of divorce - especially harshly if children are involved until they are under 18...

You know it makes sense...

Comment

Gawd, I'm supposed to be a lefty liberal but I find myself constantly agreeing with AtW ....... Is there a help centre for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          Gawd, I'm supposed to be a lefty liberal but I find myself constantly agreeing with AtW ....... Is there a help centre for this?
          There is no cure mate, apart from lobotomy!

Just to expand on my proposal - put tax on divorce, say 20% on both sides without children and say 50-70% with children...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Just to expand on my proposal - put tax on divorce, say 20% on both sides without children and say 50-70% with children...
            And who would benefit from this tax?

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
              And who would benefit from this tax?
              Tax paid to the state of course.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                A tax on children!
                Children don't own anything, the partners do though - divorce should come with a serious financial penalty to them and not just the husband!

If the wife knows that she'll lose 50-70% of what she'll get from husband in case of divorce then maybe she'll reconsider, same goes for husband.

Whoever files for divorce pays extra

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

errr - that is what currently happens. the money goes to the lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    How about starting up a charity with the opposite views? The UK has one of the most medieval, repressive and contentious divorce laws that brings out the worse when couple break up. The only people who gain are the lawyers. It is time that the government and church treat adults as adults and leave matters to themselves. In some US states it only takes one partner to ask for a divorce and it will be granted because the courts believe you can’t for a couple to live together if one partner does not want to. If couple knew that any one partner could get and instant divorce; perhaps they would work better at the marriage rather than getting the maximum material benefits out of it.
                    I quite like the French system myself. And as I hate the French that means I am very impressed with it. Am I allowed to say I hate the French? I thought under the racism laws one is not allowed to discriminate against anyone EXCEPT the Frenc. And for them it is compulsary.

Comment

Working...
                    X