• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving a heating oil tank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a heating oil tank

In the process of moving my oil tank to a different location & have run into a spot of bother. The oil pipe - I don't want to replace the existing one as it will involve digging up a load of concrete. I just want to extend it.

Is there an easy way to do this? Must be some kind of fitting out there that can connect 2 lengths of oil pipe. Have googled this but no joy.

I am not a plummer but several questions need answers.

Do you know the diameter of the pipe?
    Does the tank have a turn off valve?
    Is the tank empty?
    Are you a plummer?

If you answer NO to any of the above questions, no chance.

HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

It will have a thread on it just buy a fitting of the same size, ideally speak to a engineering shop and get the appropriate size thread made up on two ends of the same bit of tube.

Edit: What you're looking for if you don't have a thread is something called a compression fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        It will have a thread on it just buy a fitting of the same size, ideally speak to a engineering shop and get the appropriate size thread made up on two ends of the same bit of tube.

Edit: What you're looking for if you don't have a thread is something called a compression fitting.
        Yes and AP is looking for a dictionary. HTH.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          I am not a plummer but several questions need answers.

Do you know the diameter of the pipe?
          Does the tank have a turn off valve?
          Is the tank empty?
          Are you a plummer?

If you answer NO to any of the above questions, no chance.

HTH
          Yes,yes,yes, no

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

the existing pipe is threaded at the end (where it connects to the filter on the old tank). Don't have the new pipe yet but I'm guessing there will be no thread.

Comment

My oil pipe is 8 or 10mm (can't remember which) plastic coated copper pipe - the same stuff that is used in central heating pipes. You can get pipe and connectors (as sockpuppet said, compression) from B&Q. It is good practice to also run the plastic coated pipe through another pipe and bed it in sand so nothing can get punctured.
            Remember to lay warning tape above the pipe so that anyone digging in the future won't accidentally dig up the pipe.
            Oh- and take the opportunity to clean the silt out your tank and fit a new filter.

and, this work probably legally requires doing by someone qualified and may also require buiding control approval so be careful...

I really should look into that handyman plan B.

Al.
            Back at the coal face

Comment

Have you tried bleeding it ? Usually does the job it does.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Just to report that the job's a good ' un.

Original quote from local oil co. to supply and install new tank :£3800.

Pacha's solution:

Concrete base: £60
                Building regs: £100
                Tank from eBay: £120
                Van hire: £80
                Pipe and fittings: £25
                Disposal of old tank: £0 (bloke who delivered my Cotswold path gravel took it off my hands)

Total: £385

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  Just to report that the job's a good ' un.

Original quote from local oil co. to supply and install new tank :£3800.

Pacha's solution:

Concrete base: £60
                  Building regs: £100
                  Tank from eBay: £120
                  Van hire: £80
                  Pipe and fittings: £25
                  Disposal of old tank: £0 (bloke who delivered my Cotswold path gravel took it off my hands)

Total: £385
                  Slow Oil leak over winter 2012/13 destroying back garden. Priceless.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Slow Oil leak over winter 2012/13 destroying back garden. Priceless.
                    Why would you expect a plumber (or Plummer) would be more fastidious checking for leaks than a motivated DIYer?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X