• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People that interview but have no clue how to do it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People that interview but have no clue how to do it

Don't they just annoy you? I had a interview this morning for a gig local to me. It is using some pretty old skills, that I haven't used in 10 years, but I reckon I still have it. I did some brushing up, checked out a few forums on these skills and it all started flooding back to me.

So I even research the company a little, just in case. I don't normally go to these lengths, but this role is perfect for me because

a) It pays.
    b) It is local.
    c) It pays.
    d) It pays.

So I did the teleco. Off-shore team dialled in to ask me some technical questions. Not a one. Very airy fairy. If I saw an opportunity to spin the conversation somewhere where I could give a detailed technical answer I did. They still only muttered.

The feedback? The off-shore team were not able to gain an insight into my technical competence and are concerned as I haven't used these skills in over 10 years.

Guys, you have my CV. You can read my CV. You are right I haven't used these skills in over 10 years, but then you knew this before you agreed to interview me. You also did not ask any technically detailed questions. How do you ever intend to hire anyone with confidence in their technical capability without even asking any technical questions???

No cheap shots please, not in the mood for it.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

To say I'm shocked doesn't even begin to start.... you got feedback from an interview???
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Don't they just annoy you? I had a interview this morning for a gig local to me. It is using some pretty old skills, that I haven't used in 10 years, but I reckon I still have it. I did some brushing up, checked out a few forums on these skills and it all started flooding back to me.

Burger King or McDonalds?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

this role is perfect for me because ...
        Doubt it

one day at a time

Comment

I am sure one of the fit girlies will come along soon to give you a but you will have to do with me for the time being
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Burger King or McDonalds?
            He he he.

Not quite as taxing. Classic asp hacking.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It happens from time to time. Very annoying.

Last year a hedge fund interviewed me. 11 interviews - some as late as 11pm. Everyone said I was the badgers nadgers. One rubber stamp interview with board member. He asked me stuff going back 30 years (why choose degree you did, why choose finance). I kept turning things round to the future and what I could bring to the company (having answered the original question). I then got rejected for "not being a forward thinking technologist". I went into meltdown. I offered to fly out to California for a rematch!

So on behalf of cuk we are all sorry to hear it. Don't give up. Move onto the next one. You WILL get it!

Comment

He he he.

Not quite as taxing. Classic asp hacking.
                Do you want my contract?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I am sure one of the fit girlies will come along soon to give you a but you will have to do with me for the time being
                  You mean you are not a fit girly?

How fat are you?

Comment

For anything like that, a phone interview at least gives you the chance to find out they're tossers before bothering to roll up for a FTF

It's usually pointless though, as they'll want you as a last resort incase they can't find anyone with more recent experience

Unless they're paying an obscenely good rate, it's usually not worth the effort
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X