PDA

View Full Version : People that interview but have no clue how to do it

suityou01
30th April 2012, 11:38
Don't they just annoy you? I had a interview this morning for a gig local to me. It is using some pretty old skills, that I haven't used in 10 years, but I reckon I still have it. I did some brushing up, checked out a few forums on these skills and it all started flooding back to me.

So I even research the company a little, just in case. I don't normally go to these lengths, but this role is perfect for me because

a) It pays.
b) It is local.
c) It pays.
d) It pays.

So I did the teleco. Off-shore team dialled in to ask me some technical questions. Not a one. Very airy fairy. If I saw an opportunity to spin the conversation somewhere where I could give a detailed technical answer I did. They still only muttered.

The feedback? The off-shore team were not able to gain an insight into my technical competence and are concerned as I haven't used these skills in over 10 years. :rolleyes:

Guys, you have my CV. You can read my CV. You are right I haven't used these skills in over 10 years, but then you knew this before you agreed to interview me. You also did not ask any technically detailed questions. How do you ever intend to hire anyone with confidence in their technical capability without even asking any technical questions??? :suicide:

No cheap shots please, not in the mood for it.

Spacecadet
30th April 2012, 11:42
To say I'm shocked doesn't even begin to start.... you got feedback from an interview???

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 11:44
Don't they just annoy you? I had a interview this morning for a gig local to me. It is using some pretty old skills, that I haven't used in 10 years, but I reckon I still have it. I did some brushing up, checked out a few forums on these skills and it all started flooding back to me.

Burger King or McDonalds?

oscarose
30th April 2012, 11:46
this role is perfect for me because ...

Doubt it

:o

SimonMac
30th April 2012, 11:48
I am sure one of the fit girlies will come along soon to give you a :hug: but you will have to do with me for the time being :laugh

suityou01

He he he. :laugh

Not quite as taxing. Classic asp hacking.

BrilloPad
It happens from time to time. Very annoying.

Last year a hedge fund interviewed me. 11 interviews - some as late as 11pm. Everyone said I was the badgers nadgers. One rubber stamp interview with board member. He asked me stuff going back 30 years (why choose degree you did, why choose finance). I kept turning things round to the future and what I could bring to the company (having answered the original question). I then got rejected for "not being a forward thinking technologist". I went into meltdown. I offered to fly out to California for a rematch!

So on behalf of cuk we are all sorry to hear it. Don't give up. Move onto the next one. You WILL get it! :hug:

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 11:49

Do you want my contract?

BrilloPad
30th April 2012, 11:49
I am sure one of the fit girlies will come along soon to give you a :hug: but you will have to do with me for the time being :laugh

You mean you are not a fit girly? :eek:

How fat are you?

amcdonald
30th April 2012, 11:50
For anything like that, a phone interview at least gives you the chance to find out they're tossers before bothering to roll up for a FTF

It's usually pointless though, as they'll want you as a last resort incase they can't find anyone with more recent experience

Unless they're paying an obscenely good rate, it's usually not worth the effort

amcdonald
30th April 2012, 11:51

No real frameworks to learn, a language that you can be an expert in a day

They must be muppets if they can't find anyone that can do it

suityou01
30th April 2012, 11:58
No real frameworks to learn, a language that you can be an expert in a day

They must be muppets if they can't find anyone that can do it

This is why it looked perfect, given my recent spell of stress related ill health. Local, pays ok, not too challenging. :eyes

DimPrawn
30th April 2012, 12:05
Bad luck mate. I was going to put the boot in, but I'll wait to kick you again when you are up.

:smile

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:06
Bad luck mate. I was going to put the boot in, but I'll wait to kick you again when you are up.

:smile

Thanks Bud. :)

AtW
30th April 2012, 12:07
Last year a hedge fund interviewed me. 11 interviews - some as late as 11pm.

:laugh

Diver
30th April 2012, 12:09
Hedge Funding :smokin

The RSPB: Conservation: Advice and grant aid for hedges (http://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/conservation/advice/farmhedges/advice_aid.aspx)

FiveTimes
30th April 2012, 12:09
but this role is perfect for me because

Sorry to hear you didn't get it, whislt you think the gig is perfect for you, they don't think the same and they want someone to come on board who has been using the skills currently (not 10 years ago).

Something will crop up .

AtW
30th April 2012, 12:12
Brillo will soon be working for this hedge fund:

Hedge Fund (http://www.stellaartois.com/hedgefund/hedge-fund.html)

11pm interviews with a wife beaters in hand...

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:12
Sorry to hear you didn't get it, whislt you think the gig is perfect for you, they don't think the same and they want someone to come on board who has been using the skills currently (not 10 years ago).

Something will crop up .

Agree totally, but surely the protocol is

1] Read CV.
2] Based on the contents of the CV decide if you want to interview or not.

This is my point.

alreadypacked
30th April 2012, 12:16

1] Project late, blame lack of resources.
2] Interview and reject any applicants.
3] Repeat.

This is my point.

FTFY

fullyautomatix
30th April 2012, 12:17
:wave:

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:18
:wave:

And why are you flouncing? :rolleyes:

MarillionFan

1] Read CV.

This is my point.

Sometimes it's not so black and white. So you have to interview to make sure that the CV matches the skillsets and the interviewee is not some kind of closet case.

fullyautomatix

He said no cheap shots.

Nandos or PizzaHut ?

fullyautomatix
30th April 2012, 12:20
And why are you flouncing? :rolleyes:

Not flouncing, waving at you from behind the interviewer desk. :laugh:

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:20
Sometimes it's not so black and white. So you have to interview to make sure that the CV matches the skillsets and the interviewee is not some kind of closet case.

So basically, what you're saying here was that just because my CV said I hadn't used the skills in 10 years, they needed to hear it from me in person. :laugh

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 12:21
So basically, what you're saying here was that just because my CV said I hadn't used the skills in 10 years, they needed to hear it from me in person. :laugh

I sometimes get contacted by interviewers about skills I haven't used for ten years. Most times it's a brief chat and it doesn't go anywhere. One time I landed up with an interview and an offer. It depends on how could you are at lying I suppose.

fullyautomatix
30th April 2012, 12:22

1] Read CV.

This is my point.

You do have to factor in the fact that some offshore team guys get sadistic pleasure in toying with a job applicant who has applied for a job with skills that he used 10 years ago. :laugh:

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:23
You do have to factor in the fact that some offshore team guys get sadistic pleasure in toying with a job applicant who has applied for a job with skills that he used 10 years ago. :laugh:

I was head hunted. :tongue

DodgyAgent
30th April 2012, 12:25
This is why it looked perfect, given my recent spell of stress related ill health. Local, pays ok, not too challenging. :eyes

Sorry suity but I managed to get a CV in with more recent skills than yours :happy

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 12:26
Sorry suity but I managed to get a CV in with more recent skills than yours :happy

Yes it's mine. I said I had the up to date skills so I could shine during the interview. I start Monday. Just need to find somewhere to stay in Luton now.:tongue

DodgyAgent
30th April 2012, 12:27
I was head hunted. :tongue

When your boss hands out your name to every Recruitment consultant that calls him it is not headhunting he is simply trying to get rid of you :happy

DodgyAgent
30th April 2012, 12:28
Yes it's mine. I said I had the up to date skills so I could shine during the interview. I start Monday. Just need to find somewhere to stay in Luton now.:tongue

I'll pop the "VSAM for dummies" book in the post tonight. :happy

mudskipper
30th April 2012, 12:28

Could you send suity as subbie?

SimonMac
30th April 2012, 12:29
When your wife hands out your name to every Recruitment consultant that calls it is not headhunting she is simply trying to get rid of you :happy

FTFY

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 12:31
Could you send suity as subbie?

He does burgers. Not foot longs.:laugh

AtW
30th April 2012, 12:36
He does burgers. Not foot longs.:laugh

:laugh

bobspud
30th April 2012, 12:45

So I even research the company a little, just in case. I don't normally go to these lengths, but this role is perfect for me because

a) It pays.
b) It is local.
c) It pays.
d) It pays.

So I did the teleco. Off-shore team dialled in to ask me some technical questions. Not a one. Very airy fairy. If I saw an opportunity to spin the conversation somewhere where I could give a detailed technical answer I did. They still only muttered.

The feedback? The off-shore team were not able to gain an insight into my technical competence and are concerned as I haven't used these skills in over 10 years. :rolleyes:

Guys, you have my CV. You can read my CV. You are right I haven't used these skills in over 10 years, but then you knew this before you agreed to interview me. You also did not ask any technically detailed questions. How do you ever intend to hire anyone with confidence in their technical capability without even asking any technical questions??? :suicide:

To ask technical questions they need to be technical. If the offshore team is anything like the normal lot one finds. Their technical depth can be measured in microns...

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:50
To ask technical questions they need to be technical. If the offshore team is anything like the normal lot one finds. Their technical depth can be measured in microns...

BobSpud, this rings true. They didn't know how to ask the questions, or gauge my technical understanding because they couldn't. This is why they are off-ish. So if I said "Hi my name is MF and I've been coding in classic asp for 35 years" they would have had no qualms.

Shudder.

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 12:52
BobSpud, this rings true. They didn't know how to ask the questions, or gauge my technical understanding because they couldn't. This is why they are off-ish. So if I said "Hi my name is MF and I've been coding in classic asp for 35 years" they would have had no qualms.

Shudder.

Now you're getting it. Honesty has no place in contracting.

suityou01
30th April 2012, 12:53
Now you're getting it. Honesty has no place in contracting.

:spel modern life

Zippy
30th April 2012, 12:59
It's annoying, I agree, Maybe they found someone a bit cheaper before they interviewed you.?

MarillionFan
30th April 2012, 13:04
It's annoying, I agree, Maybe they found someone a bit cheaper before they interviewed you.?

Was he 14?

Snigger.

bobspud
30th April 2012, 13:16
Had an interview last year with a mob near reading. They brought a girl from HR who kept asking me if I'd consider going perm (answer was obviously not without 9k a month take home :D ) then they asked if my skills were Wintel or UNIX based I told them I preferred UNIX, so they then asked loads of Wintel questions which I got right because they were easy. They came back and told the agent that they had mixed my CV up with another candidate (my front half with their back half) They said for a UNIX chap I had got more questions right than most of the Wintel guys that they saw and still never gave me the role. (The obviously wanted permies not freelance pro's ) but it was class entertainment to watch them stumble from fsckup to fsckup.

nomadd
30th April 2012, 13:33

Amen, bro. Drives me fooking nuts.

Bailed on an interview last week for the very issues mentioned above.

And to answer your own question: No, that can't read your cv. They are too lazy and too dumb. And that goes for most onshore permies doing 'interviews' these days as well as our Injun friends.

squarepeg
30th April 2012, 14:15
It's always a good idea to have some sort of an Open Source project going on SourceForge, Github, or BitBucket. Nothing revolutionary, but something that a) works, b) you commit code to every couple of months. That way they can see that your skills are 'current'. A 10-year old lump of Open Source code helped me win an invite to join a very nice US corporation, recently.

(Unfortunately, I cannot join them right away, because of the US visa/work permit issues and we're still trying to work out a solution to that problem, but that's a different issue.)

Sands of Time
30th April 2012, 14:57
Geezer,

Don't beat yourself up about it, you can drive yourself mad wondering why...

Onwards and upwards...

Tulip happens...

Tone
"Always seek out the seed of triumph in every adversity." - Og Mandino

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 13:00
So they came back to me today. It seems they got burnt in the past hiring shite developers and want to learn from their experience and not get burned again.

So that asked to to sit a technical test. Fine.

The test arrived. Three assigments, to develop 3 classic asp "applications" from scratch, to basically maintain some HR data.

I don't have an IIS rig I can grab in a short space of time so I assume they're not too fussed about me setting up the database, quality test data, or doing any sort of testing.

Also their assignment descriptions had glaring holes. Cunning or just rubbish? Not sure. Add in plenty of comments into the code, and write up a summary of what I have done, the assumptions I have had to make based on the gaps.

I did 2 out of the 3 assignments and realised I was getting way too into it. Error handling, client side validation etc etc. So after an hour or so I just handed it in. Hells bells if you just want to see I can cut asp, html, javascript, sql and that I know my way around a database I've done plenty.

So they come back. Just a box ticking exercise as they don't want to get burnt (bear in mind this is just a code monkey role scratching out some classic asp tweaks to a legacy system).

I told the agency if they were that aversed to getting burnt and wanting to learn their lessons they would be way more prepared for the interview, have specific targetted questions based on those lessons they have learnt, not just do one wishy-washy interview then come back two days later with a half baked test.

So this is the off-shore team.

The PM (on-shore) likes me and thinks I am over-qualified and over experienced to do the work. I agree. However, work's work and its only a short gig so I cut the code and get paid, where's the problem?

It turns out their is a more senior position available and they are sizing me up for that, and letting the off-shore team worry about which monkey they get to do their bidding.

We shall see. They already sound disorganised. Then again, work's work and money's money.

I am told it will be all wrapped up today.

d000hg
2nd May 2012, 13:06

So basically, what you're saying here was that just because my CV said I hadn't used the skills in 10 years, they needed to hear it from me in person. :laughThey might have thought "he's rusty but sounds amazing" and then interviewed you to see if the latter part were true enough to overcome the former.

MarillionFan
2nd May 2012, 13:11
Basically it was a long time since I used the fryer. They had me in where I did the fryer & then wrapped the burgers. I didn't have time to serve any customers.

So basically they have a more senior position. They've got to see if they have the second gold star for my uniform.

ftfy

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 13:23
ftfy

That's not mayo I'll be putting on your burger btw. :smokin

:grin

bobspud
2nd May 2012, 14:22
So they came back to me today. It seems they got burnt in the past hiring tulipe developers and want to learn from their experience and not get burned again.

So that asked to to sit a technical test. Fine.

The test arrived. Three assigments, to develop 3 classic asp "applications" from scratch, to basically maintain some HR data.

I don't have an IIS rig I can grab in a short space of time so I assume they're not too fussed about me setting up the database, quality test data, or doing any sort of testing.

Also their assignment descriptions had glaring holes. Cunning or just rubbish? Not sure. Add in plenty of comments into the code, and write up a summary of what I have done, the assumptions I have had to make based on the gaps.

I did 2 out of the 3 assignments and realised I was getting way too into it. Error handling, client side validation etc etc. So after an hour or so I just handed it in. Hells bells if you just want to see I can cut asp, html, javascript, sql and that I know my way around a database I've done plenty.

So they come back. Just a box ticking exercise as they don't want to get burnt (bear in mind this is just a code monkey role scratching out some classic asp tweaks to a legacy system).

I told the agency if they were that aversed to getting burnt and wanting to learn their lessons they would be way more prepared for the interview, have specific targetted questions based on those lessons they have learnt, not just do one wishy-washy interview then come back two days later with a half baked test.

So this is the off-shore team.

The PM (on-shore) likes me and thinks I am over-qualified and over experienced to do the work. I agree. However, work's work and its only a short gig so I cut the code and get paid, where's the problem?

It turns out their is a more senior position available and they are sizing me up for that, and letting the off-shore team worry about which monkey they get to do their bidding.

We shall see. They already sound disorganised. Then again, work's work and money's money.

It sounds like you just wrote them a course for the offshore team to learn from...

Scoobos
2nd May 2012, 14:26
It sounds like you just wrote them a course for the offshore team to learn from...

tbh I'd agree with this - maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm more one of the "I'm as good as I say I am, unless I'm not, in which case - as per the contract you can sue me for your losses".

Zippy
2nd May 2012, 14:36
The most important thing is transfer cash from their bank account to yours. Anything else is a bonus.

Good luck Suity.

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 14:44
The most important thing is transfer cash from their bank account to yours. Anything else is a bonus.

Good luck Suity.

:D:D:D:D:D