• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-UK resident: Umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-UK resident: Umbrella company

Hi everyone,
    I am an Italian resident and will do some locums for a UK Agency as a Medical Consultant. The Umbrella company the agency has suggested me has an offer that seems different to others I have seen. Essentially they will not take me on board as an employee but as a Self-employed consultant. That means they will pay me gross. Questions are:
    - Can I register as a self-employed without being resident?
    - Which taxes would I have to pay, being a non-resident?
    - The other umbrellas company I saw will hire you and will deduct PAYE and NIC from earnings... is there any advantage/disadvantage with what this company is offering? Will this one be a better option as I am a non-resident (therefore I should not pay NICs... and I am not sure of what PAYE I have to pay).
    Thanks and Regards,
    Anna

Originally posted by PeSte View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am an Italian resident and will do some locums for a UK Agency as a Medical Consultant. The Umbrella company the agency has suggested me has an offer that seems different to others I have seen. Essentially they will not take me on board as an employee but as a Self-employed consultant. That means they will pay me gross. Questions are:
    - Can I register as a self-employed without being resident?
    - Which taxes would I have to pay, being a non-resident?
    - The other umbrellas company I saw will hire you and will deduct PAYE and NIC from earnings... is there any advantage/disadvantage with what this company is offering? Will this one be a better option as I am a non-resident (therefore I should not pay NICs... and I am not sure of what PAYE I have to pay).
    Thanks and Regards,
    Anna
    The company offering the self-employed option will take money from you and you will then be responsible for sorting out your own tax - personally I am not sure that is value for money
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
    X