• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Paid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Paid

i am going to invoice this friday for three weeks.
    I feel really relaxed and, to be honest, I would not be bothered if I forgot and did it a week later.
    I am working direct now.

So, why bother posting all that ?

because the worst times in my fckng life were when agencies sttopped paying, in both cases when they were going teats up, and I stood to lose 10 - 20 k.

so if there are any noobs reading this - bill early bill often

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Wise words man, wise words.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      WHS
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The No1 and only golden rule.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          WIS

Also settle your debts with extreme prejudice

Comment

Since 1997 I've only ever billed weekly.

Cashflow is the lifeblood of any organisation.

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
              Since 1997 I've only ever billed weekly.

Cashflow is the lifeblood of any organisation.

Tone
              Currently on monthly invoicing + 30 days settlement.

Last contract they asked if I minded invoicing monthly in advance with 30 days notice.

Comment

WTAS
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I remember as the noob, i went through an umbrella. Never quite understood the bill for month worked, 30 days for them to invoice agency, 30 days to pay me. 60 days... I learnt as i left them (because i didnt like them!) that this was to increase their cashflow as they went tits up soon after. I lost £2k. Went Ltd at first opportunity, now there is only me responsible for invoicing and agents etc...

I had 18mths out as perm and came back. Both the last contract (agency) and this direct one pay within 6 days of invoice. Although current gig have asked me to move to monthly billing rather than weekly, submit timesheets on the monday before the last friday and get paid the last friday! Works for me, I know they are good for it.

All previous contracts where 30days, what has changed? Have I just been lucky with recent clients?
                  I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Between being offered a role and accepting is the contractor's 'sweet spot'.

I always demand payment in 7 days.

Yes, they wince and twist - I tell them it's a deal breaker, I always get it.

Afterall, what they gonna tell the client - they lost a resource because of payment terms?

I also connect to my new client via Linkedin so if the agent plays silly buggers I can contact directly if required.

Tone

Comment

Working...
                    X