• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

King a 'disaster' as Bank Governor, says Standard Life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King a 'disaster' as Bank Governor, says Standard Life

David Cumming, head of equities at Standard Life and one of the most influential figures in the City, said the Treasury must improve on Sir Mervyn when his second term expires in June 2013. The Chancellor has said the appointment process will officially begin in the autumn and a successor named before the end of the year.

Sir Mervyn has not ingratiated himself with the City since the financial crisis – at one point even expressing surprise that the public was not more angry with bankers. However, despite the underlying animosity, senior finance professionals have rarely spoken out so strongly against the Governor.

Mr Cumming said: “The current appointment in my view has been a disaster, so its important to get a better man this time round.”

Mr Cumming did not expand on his position, but City figures are known to be frustrated with the Governor’s apparently conflicting demands for lenders to boost their capital buffers and increase lending at the same time. Futhermore, they find his sermons about bankings' ills grating given his regulatory failings before the crisis.

“He was happy to let them run at 150 miles an hour. Now he wants them running at 10 miles an hour and armour plated,” said one senior City figure. “He’s gone from very light touch to excessive regulation. That’s making it difficult for banks to lend, which is bad for them and the economy.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...dard-Life.html

City chap is not happy with Sir Merv, he must be doing something right for a change - can't believe I am saying it

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    he must be doing something right for a change - can't believe I am saying it
    We can't believe you are saying it either.

Come on guys, own up. Who hacked Atw's account.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      David Cumming, head of equities at Standard Life and one of the most influential figures in the City, said the Treasury must improve on Sir Mervyn when his second term expires in June 2013. The Chancellor has said the appointment process will officially begin in the autumn and a successor named before the end of the year.
      AtW - have you got your application in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        AtW - have you got your application in yet?
        I don't qualify because I can't lie with straight face in public saying things that are blatantly untrue

Comment

Working...
        X