• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And now I feel sorry for Bradford

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now I feel sorry for Bradford

George Galloway now MP for Bradford West

And won 75% of the postal vote at the same time.

despite winning 75% of the postal vote in Bradford West, he is campaigning for postal voting to be banned.

"We are totally against postal voting on demand. Postal votes used to be something you got when you literally could not get to the polls; now they're available on demand and, once granted, are yours for ever. So large numbers of postal votes are delivered to places where the person no longer is. Large numbers of them are collected, unfilled-in, by these biradari chiefs," an Urdu word meaning clan seniors. "It's a kind of ritual that they bring votes to the candidate to show them: "Look, I'm bringing in 20 votes; that's 20 votes for you – I'm bringing that in.'" How can he be so sure?

"Well, I know it because they offered to do it to me. Yeah, and I said: 'I don't want to see anybody's vote, and I don't want you to see anybody's vote.' Now, I don't know that they filled them in, rather than the voter, but it's a fair inference; it's a fair inference if someone has got 20 votes in their pocket to take to the town hall, that they were either visibly observing the person filling the vote in – which is wrong, and I think illegal – or filled them in themselves. This happens in Asian areas on a widespread basis, and it is the antithesis of democracy." Does he think some of his own votes came that way? "It's possible, because people offered to show me other people's votes. So I redouble my call for postal voting on demand to be scrapped."
    Having once worked there, I was wondering which bit of the place Bradford West covered. Bradford West

This constituency covers the western part of Bradford. In the 1950s, the boundaries covered Thornton, Allerton and Manningham.

Boundaries 1997–2010

From 1997 to 2010, the constituency comprised six complete wards of the City of Bradford: City, Clayton and Fairweather Green, Heaton, Manningham, Thornton and Allerton, Toller. It also included a part of Little Horton ward.
    Eh? Little Horton isn't anywhere near the others. Boundary rigging or what?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Coming from not far from there originally there is a hell of a lot more to feel sorry for Bradford for...

Bradford was also hit with a postal voting scandal in 2010 and everyone in the area believes it has been going on for decades. He might be shooting himself in the foot there...

Anyway, who cares, the place is fooked whatever happens....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The people who live there might care, especially given that there's less than zero employment opportunties at the mo.

I live in Berkshire at the moment, and wish I even had the chance to have a vote - I've had no ballot paper and no bloody postal vote invite either ... grrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
        The people who live there might care, especially given that there's less than zero employment opportunties at the mo.
        Aye. The place gave me one of the best contracts I've ever had, and the social life was pretty good too.

I needed a bit of bench time to recover from that one

Comment

Suprised anybody votes for the guy who moves from one place to another just to get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Aye. The place gave me one of the best contracts I've ever had, and the social life was pretty good too.

I needed a bit of bench time to recover from that one
            I think I had a contract at the same place, also enjoyed it as one of the best - financial by anychance?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Coming from not far from there originally there is a hell of a lot more to feel sorry for Bradford for...

Bradford was also hit with a postal voting scandal in 2010 and everyone in the area believes it has been going on for decades. He might be shooting himself in the foot there...

Anyway, who cares, the place is fooked whatever happens....
              I still like my idea of a big damn on canal road and flood the place
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I still like my idea of a big dam on canal road and flood the place
                It's already flooded but I don't think that is what you mean

Oh and FTFY
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I live in Berkshire at the moment, and wish I even had the chance to have a vote - I've had no ballot paper and no bloody postal vote invite either ... grrrr.
                  If you have registered phone them up and check you are on the Roll. Then just turn up, you don't need the card.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think I had a contract at the same place, also enjoyed it as one of the best - financial by anychance?
                    No not financial.

A good bunch of clued up no-nonsense folks, from director level down to junior level. They were a pleasure to work with, and were using the latest technology too.

Alas it was a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X