• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaking window frames - How to fix?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking window frames - How to fix?

Not quite the actual frame but behind it.

During the continuous downpour of the weekend a guest in the spareroom said, there is a little bit of water dripping in during the night from above the window. By the next morning it was a downpour. Filled up three plastic containers in about 1 hour.

So with the rain lashing down and the wind blowing I shimmied up the ladder to the top of the house to have a look. Basically there is a beam outside the window frame which runs across the top, it looks like that was acting like a gutter and that any protection or seal it had on top has gone over the years. The water was then soaking in through the wall, and above the lintel where it must have saturated and then like a full sponge was running behind the window. I got some fella out to have a look and he recommended a temporary solution of some kind of tar/sealent from Wickes(??). He then failed to turn up yesterday to do it and on eventually contacting him today he's fecked off to Leicester.

Looks like I'm going to have to go up and do it myself tonight. Does anyone know what product he's talking about?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Silicon sealant presumably. The stuff that when a professional does it comes out in one nice long continuous bead but when you do it goes everywhere. I stick masking tape down now and then run over it with a web thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Silicon sealant presumably. The stuff that when a professional does it comes out in one nice long continuous bead but when you do it goes everywhere. I stick masking tape down now and then run over it with a web thumb.
      You fecking duck you....
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Looks like I'm going to have to go up and do it myself tonight. Does anyone know what product he's talking about?
        All Weather Roof Repair Mastic - Roof Repair Liquids - Roofing -Building Materials - Wickes

or may be better with

trowel mastic

Comment

That looks something like it. Highest point in the bloody house. I hate ladders.

Comment

Not quite the actual frame but behind it.

During the continuous downpour of the weekend a guest in the spareroom said, there is a little bit of water dripping in during the night from above the window. By the next morning it was a downpour. Filled up three plastic containers in about 1 hour.

So with the rain lashing down and the wind blowing I shimmied up the ladder to the top of the house to have a look. Basically there is a beam outside the window frame which runs across the top, it looks like that was acting like a gutter and that any protection or seal it had on top has gone over the years. The water was then soaking in through the wall, and above the lintel where it must have saturated and then like a full sponge was running behind the window. I got some fella out to have a look and he recommended a temporary solution of some kind of tar/sealent from Wickes(??). He then failed to turn up yesterday to do it and on eventually contacting him today he's fecked off to Leicester.

Portlights & Portholes by Discount Marine Supplies
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

IMO you gotta get this sorted once and for all. I had problem with a leak in the roof and it took bloody ages to sort. All the guys that I got in had this annoying saying something along the lines of 'Water finds it's own way' which was their code for 'We haven't got a ****** clue but will charge you to try'.

Sticking a bit of this and a bit of that won't work and will end up pushing it somewhere you don't see until your wall falls down. Worth spending it a bit to save alot.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know it's wet, but I'm not turning the fecking house into an ark!

Comment

That looks something like it. Highest point in the bloody house. I hate ladders.
                  You need.... a scaffold tower ( i hate working off ladders so invested in one of these

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    IMO you gotta get this sorted once and for all. I had problem with a leak in the roof and it took bloody ages to sort. All the guys that I got in had this annoying saying something along the lines of 'Water finds it's own way' which was their code for 'We haven't got a ****** clue but will charge you to try'.

Sticking a bit of this and a bit of that won't work and will end up pushing it somewhere you don't see until your wall falls down. Worth spending it a bit to save alot.
                    It's supposed to be a temporary solution when said 'handy man' is going to do the guttering, roof & pointing. I've got video of the water coming through. It was quite gobsmacking.

Comment

Working...
                    X