PDA

View Full Version : Grim Places to work Part 2 - feel like starting a fight

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 13:53
Really getting peed of with this grim place. Unable to deliver because of lack of support, organisation and communication. Looks like they are trying to find a scapegoat for their seriously sh1t way of doing things.

Started looking for roles and am considering putting notice in as soon as some interviews come up.

oscarose
1st May 2012, 14:01
Really getting peed of with this grim place. Unable to deliver because of lack of support, organisation and communication. Looks like they are trying to find a scapegoat for their seriously sh1t way of doing things.

Started looking for roles and am considering putting notice in as soon as some interviews come up.

Still crapping on about this :o

SimonMac
1st May 2012, 14:09

Are you surrounded by Citeh fans?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 14:10
Still crapping on about this :o

Yeah I noticed you have a few more posts to your name than me so I better get posting to get ahead of you......

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 14:11
Are you surrounded by Citeh fans?

That would be a lot more fun than what I am going through at the moment with this bunch of ******

OwlHoot
1st May 2012, 14:14

If your emails aren't being answered have you tried going round to stand over the perps and force them to talk?

That's what I have to do sometimes, although no one seems actually hostile just (in a few cases) rather lazy or non-committal

MarillionFan
1st May 2012, 14:16

WHS

3 more days to go for me after this. Feck any extension. I'm so bored here I need to do something else.

northernladuk
1st May 2012, 14:17
http://www.newbornbabyzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/babies-cry.jpg

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 14:26
If your emails aren't being answered have you tried going round to stand over the perps and force them to talk?

That's what I have to do sometimes, although no one seems actually hostile just (in a few cases) rather lazy or non-committal

I am the only one trying to drive this dude. I am constantly chasing people - Phone/Email/IM and in person. Can't get anywhere with this Sh1t

oscarose
1st May 2012, 14:28
I am constantly chasing people..

Why do you give a chuff :o

I'm assuming your timesheets are getting signed. What's the problem? :confused:

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 14:33
Why do you give a chuff :o

I'm assuming your timesheets are getting signed. What's the problem? :confused:

Cos they are putting pressure on me to deliver and I can't in a place like this.... So close to putting my notice in or giving somebody a punch.

Scoobos
1st May 2012, 14:38
http://www.newbornbabyzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/babies-cry.jpg

I owe northernlad 1 positive rep.

Considering how you've lorded it over the bench posts I was in earlier in the year with your "cry me a river attitude" that raised a smile.

Seriously though, tough it out mate, its not as easy out there in the market as you think it is.

Sands of Time
1st May 2012, 14:40
I enjoy escalating...

Tone

OwlHoot
1st May 2012, 14:44
I enjoy escalating...

Tone

I don't - I get belts of static off the rails, and in open plan buildings there can be a huge drop to the ground floor :eek

oscarose
1st May 2012, 14:45
Cos they are putting pressure on me to deliver and I can't in a place like this.... So close to putting my notice in or giving somebody a punch.

See out the contract, inform the agency you won't be extending, keep an eye out for other contracts and get your invoices in. Simple.

:eyes

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 14:54
See out the contract, inform the agency you won't be extending, keep an eye out for other contracts and get your invoices in. Simple.

:eyes

I have a 6 monther here!!!!!!!!!

oscarose
1st May 2012, 15:19
I have a 6 monther here!!!!!!!!!

See my sig :o

northernladuk
1st May 2012, 15:24
See my sig :o

it will pass; live and let live; think think think; take it easy; one day at a time. And if that fails there is always the counting thread

Fixed your sig for you......

oscarose
1st May 2012, 15:35
Fixed your sig for you......

Glad you're getting the hang of things...

:emb

Sysman
1st May 2012, 17:02
That would be a lot more fun than what I am going through at the moment with this bunch of ******

Office manager (who is a very decent guy); Why have I lost all my emails?
Offiice manager again: They've given me back all my email except for the last six months.

Me: I haven't lost an email in years. What's wrong with your system?

I smell the blood of outsourcing to someone competent and taking a cut myself :)

DodgyAgent
1st May 2012, 17:06

That's the North for you

Pogle
1st May 2012, 18:33
That's the North for you

:laugh

On a less frivolous note, shut up and either get out or carry on quietly, do you have to post your every dislike and bowel movement on here?
There are plenty of benched folk around who'd quite like to be in a contract.
Also Its only 6 fracking months!! If you cant handle it then perhaps you are not cut out for contracting.

oscarose
1st May 2012, 18:36
shut up

WHS

eek
1st May 2012, 18:44
I owe northernlad 1 positive rep.

Considering how you've lorded it over the bench posts I was in earlier in the year with your "cry me a river attitude" that raised a smile.

Seriously though, tough it out mate, its not as easy out there in the market as you think it is.

+1

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 19:57
:laugh

On a less frivolous note, shut up and either get out or carry on quietly, do you have to post your every dislike and bowel movement on here?
There are plenty of benched folk around who'd quite like to be in a contract.
Also Its only 6 fracking months!! If you cant handle it then perhaps you are not cut out for contracting.

I always seem to catch you at the wrong time of the month don't I......

mudskipper
1st May 2012, 20:04

:winker:

eek
1st May 2012, 20:20

What Pogle said (note I'm male so tom is not my excuse). You're complaining about what for many people is a standard workplace.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
1st May 2012, 21:03
What Pogle said (note I'm male so tom is not my excuse). You're complaining about what for many people is a standard workplace.

Fair enough, there is a way to say things though...

TestMangler
1st May 2012, 21:34
Fair enough, there is a way to say things though...

Of course, you are right, what they should have said was:

Grow a pair and get it sorted, you ******** pussy.

suityou01
1st May 2012, 21:36
This is precisely what I went through on my last gig. The pressure of wanting to shout at someone, or wet the bed or hit someone (in your case) is immeasurable.

You try escalating and it falls on deaf ears. You get told "just do your best", while everyone else above you just shrugs their shoulders.

At some point 1 of 6 things will happen.

1) Those above you will get found out and bollocked or worse.
2) Those above you will get found out and be replaced.
3) Those above you will get found out, try and blame you to cover their arses. You get canned.
4) No one cares, the project gets later and later. No one cares, it's just the culture of the place.
5) No one cares as the project is getting shit-canned anyways and you just don't know it yet.
6) Those above you are playing political games and want the project to struggle. Usually as they want more budget / resource.

You will notice not any of those items are in your control.

The only thing in your control is to submit a weekly report to the project manager, with a copy sent to a private mail account. This should show what you were supposed to work on, what came up that was unplanned, what obstacles you face in terms of risks and issues, and what you have done about them - usually in terms of escalating and performing regular chases.

Soon enough you're entire working week will become chasing people and writing up these reports. Then when any of the 1-6 options occurs you are belt braces and bollocks and can turn over the evidence.

Even if they don't have weekly meetings, or ask for weekly reports, rise above it and issue one anyway.

northernladuk
1st May 2012, 22:08
Blah blah blah <yawn>.

Do you want a picture as well or are your cojones big enough? :D

MarillionFan
1st May 2012, 22:23
Do you want a picture as well or are your cojones big enough? :D

WHS

From what I read of Suitys post he misses the point. Nothing of what we do as contractors is worth a jot of benefit for mankind. It's all bollix. People who build houses can still see those in fifty years. In IT you may as well be pissing in the wind.

Worthless.

Spacecadet
1st May 2012, 22:32
This is precisely what I went through on my last gig. The pressure of wanting to shout at someone, or wet the bed or hit someone (in your case) is immeasurable.

You try escalating and it falls on deaf ears. You get told "just do your best", while everyone else above you just shrugs their shoulders.

3) Those above you will get found out, try and blame you to cover their arses. You get canned.
4) No one cares, the project gets later and later. No one cares, it's just the culture of the place.
5) No one cares as the project is getting tulip-canned anyways and you just don't know it yet.
6) Those above you are playing political games and want the project to struggle. Usually as they want more budget / resource.

The only thing in your control is to submit a weekly report to the project manager, with a copy sent to a private mail account. This should show what you were supposed to work on, what came up that was unplanned, what obstacles you face in terms of risks and issues, and what you have done about them - usually in terms of escalating and performing regular chases.

Soon enough you're entire working week will become chasing people and writing up these reports. Then when any of the 1-6 options occurs you are belt braces and bollocks and can turn over the evidence.

Even if they don't have weekly meetings, or ask for weekly reports, rise above it and issue one anyway.

That has to be the most depressing thing I've ever read on here!

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 00:31
I was addressing the point raised by the OP.

HTH BISDI.

SupremeSpod
2nd May 2012, 06:06
I was addressing the point raised by the OP.

HTH BISDI.

Some are born to lead, others to follow. You appear to have the unnerving knack of placing yourself way out of your depth. In future stick to the shallow end, you're ******** things up for those of us who can do the job.

hth.

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 08:42
Some are born to lead, others to follow. You appear to have the unnerving knack of placing yourself way out of your depth.

:spel in organisations similar to the one the OP describes.

You're a crap troll. :winker:

MarillionFan
2nd May 2012, 08:43
Some are born to lead, others to follow. You appear to have the unnerving knack of placing yourself way out of your depth. In future stick to the shallow end, you're ******** things up for those of us who can do the job.

hth.

We could put some reins on him.

darrenb
2nd May 2012, 08:50
From what I read of Suitys post he misses the point. Nothing of what we do as contractors is worth a jot of benefit for mankind. It's all bollix.

Depends where you choose to contract. But it's true, a lot of these larger places don't seem to be Industrial Centres but Containment Centres. Keeps you off the streets basically. As long as you look concerned and stressed, you are fulfilling the point of your contract.

People who build houses can still see those in fifty years.

Not if the Antarctic glaciers melt and London is submerged. Which makes property prices all the more ridiculous.

I predict the capital will be moved to sunny Edinburgh. Not a bad idea to start over really.

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 08:51
Yup.

I've seen a decade of work end up in the skip.

Most singularly gratifying.

Not.

And for the hard of thinking, I'm not disputing that. In point of fact I stated there was nothing the OP could do about it other than make sure his arse is covered and keep invoicing.

Some really really crap trolling going on here this morning. :rolleyes:

Spacecadet
2nd May 2012, 09:05

Maybe its not trolling :rolleyes:

alluvial
2nd May 2012, 09:10
Depends where you choose to contract. But it's true, a lot of these larger places don't seem to be Industrial Centres but Containment Centres. Keeps you off the streets basically. As long as you look concerned and stressed, you are fulfilling the point of your contract.

Not if the Antarctic glaciers melt and London is submerged. Which makes property prices all the more ridiculous.

I predict the capital will be moved to sunny Edinburgh. Not a bad idea to start over really.

According to this linky (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/22/information-beautiful-sea-level-rise-climate-change#zoomed-picture) London's looking pretty safe for quite a while yet. Edinburgh will cop it long before London. Want to borrow our capitqal city? Tough, go and be independant somewhere else.

Sands of Time
2nd May 2012, 09:28
It will all be alright in the end.

Relax, worry about stuff you have control over, enjoy life and learn from every day.

Tone

oscarose
2nd May 2012, 09:37
It will all be alright in the end.

Relax, worry about stuff you have control over, enjoy life and learn from every day.

Tone

Excellent advice. :smile

hyperD
2nd May 2012, 10:21
What's the last thing that will go through your mind as you take your last breath before you die?

Is it: "I wish I spent more time in the office"?

Like **** it will be.

So get it all in perspective.

Bear the responsibilities of your own actions and choices.

Enjoy your short life to the full.

darmstadt
2nd May 2012, 10:22
WHS

From what I read of Suitys post he misses the point. Nothing of what we do as contractors is worth a jot of benefit for mankind. It's all bollix. People who build houses can still see those in fifty years. In IT you may as well be pissing in the wind.

Worthless.

Maybe in the world of kiddie computers but I still see code written nearly 50 years ago and because it works, it doesn't get touched...

lukemg
2nd May 2012, 10:50
WMFS x1000
Need to get a sense of perspective. By all means do a job to the best of your ability but do all you can to leave it at work. Especially as a contractor you are 'just visiting' in Monopoly jail parlance.
You are being paid, probably a comparitively large chunk of change that should give you and family a pleasant standard of living now and in the future, this is worth a lot !
Don't kid yourself you are anything more than a tiny cog having no impact on anything of any importance.
My lovely money s/sheet records all the revenue and as long as that is ticking over I can deal with the rest or if I can't I leave and it all goes away.

Sands of Time
2nd May 2012, 11:14
WMFS x1000
Need to get a sense of perspective. By all means do a job to the best of your ability but do all you can to leave it at work. Especially as a contractor you are 'just visiting' in Monopoly jail parlance.
You are being paid, probably a comparitively large chunk of change that should give you and family a pleasant standard of living now and in the future, this is worth a lot !
Don't kid yourself you are anything more than a tiny cog having no impact on anything of any importance.
My lovely money s/sheet records all the revenue and as long as that is ticking over I can deal with the rest or if I can't I leave and it all goes away.

Like a true contractor!

Tone

NorthWestPerm2Contr
2nd May 2012, 11:30

5) No one cares as the project is getting tulip-canned anyways and you just don't know it yet.

Really good post dude - excellent summary of what kind of stuff happens in IT. At my last place they were desperate to hand on to my skills and I ended up putting the notice in. Without me the systems I built would start falling appart but that's what the managers wanted to happen to prove a point about rate cuts and retaining good contractors.

d000hg
2nd May 2012, 11:31
WHS

Worthless.Disagree. Even leaving aside areas where software can last decades, even short-lived software can make a difference. For instance, many modern medical devices use software to give people quality of life that 'dumb' technologies couldn't offer. Modern insulin pumps spring to mind as a very direct example, but anyone who has had a CT/MRI scan, or even ultrasound/x-ray, has benefited due to software. Your software might only be used 5 years before it's replaced by newer equipment with new software, but during that time it's made a difference to peoples' lives.

Pogle
2nd May 2012, 11:34

Nope, i think you're a fukwit 52 weeks a year

BrilloPad
2nd May 2012, 11:37

Pogle likes you. She thinks I am a fukwit 365 days a year and 366 on leap years.....

NorthWestPerm2Contr
2nd May 2012, 11:38
And for the hard of thinking, I'm not disputing that. In point of fact I stated there was nothing the OP could do about it other than make sure his arse is covered and keep invoicing.

Indeed - I have made sure to send out regular updates on progress and what the sticking points are.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
2nd May 2012, 11:40

Cheers

suityou01
2nd May 2012, 11:40
Indeed - I have made sure to send out regular updates on progress and what the sticking points are.

So long as they're not so regular they could be construed as whining. If you update weekly that's probably enough.

Keep up the good work!

BrilloPad
2nd May 2012, 11:42
So long as they're not so regular they could be construed as whining. If you update weekly that's probably enough.

Keep up the good work!

tpd is the place for live updates......