• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phone hacking scandal - Will it never end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone hacking scandal - Will it never end?

Not the hacking, I mean BBC's obsessive coverage of it day after day after day ..

The words "Murdoch" or "phone hacking report" practically send me into a coma now. In fact I'm fighting to stay awake just typing th ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I couldn't agree more! Everytime the news is on its all you hear about. It's about time they put the thing to bed!

Comment

When a parliamentary committee publishes a report stating that Murdoch is "not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," that he and his son knowingly misled parliament, and that the Director of Public Prosecutions and the senior police officer in charge of the initial investigation are also culpable, it is in fact news.

The Times thinks it's sufficiently newsworthy to make it the lead story on their web site, and he owns that

Comment

After doing all this I think Mr Murdock might just be forced to apologise for his behavior, a harsh penalty indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          After doing all this I think Mr Murdock might just be forced to apologise for his behavior, a harsh penalty indeed...
          For contempt of Parliament he (and his son) can be imprisoned until the end of the Parliament - that is, until the next General Election.

The limitation is explained somewhere in here, for those who enjoy ploughing through Victorian court decisions.

Comment

I'd like to see everybody who uses the term "phone hacking" locked up. No phones were hacked.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              For contempt of Parliament he (and his son) can be imprisoned until the end of the Parliament - that is, until the next General Election.

The limitation is explained somewhere in here, for those who enjoy ploughing through Victorian court decisions.
              Hmm, at one point it is mentioned that the Exchequer barons (judges in the Court of Exchequer of Pleas) ordered the release of someone who had been jailed by Parliament:

One of the earliest cases is that of Donne v. Walsh[6], 12 Ed. 4., in which the Court of Exchequer determined that the servant of an Earl was entitled to be discharged from arrest during the sitting of parliament, but was not exempt from being sued, although the writ of privilege produced by the defendant to the Barons of the Exchequer claimed immunity in both respects [7].
              Perhaps there's another example further on, so I'll carry on reading. Compared to the Murdoch/hacking news, it's gripping stuff!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Not the hacking, I mean BBC's obsessive coverage of it day after day after day ..

The words "Murdoch" or "phone hacking report" practically send me into a coma now. In fact I'm fighting to stay awake just typing th ...
                Personally, I'm enjoying every minute of it
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  When a parliamentary committee publishes a report stating that Murdoch is "not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," that he and his son knowingly misled parliament, and that the Director of Public Prosecutions and the senior police officer in charge of the initial investigation are also culpable, it is in fact news.

The Times thinks it's sufficiently newsworthy to make it the lead story on their web site, and he owns that

I dont think it was found that he and his son misled parliament, the committee stopped short of that, they found that three of his employees had though.

This crap has been polluting our country for decades, thank God its been brought out into the open, and with any luck , has an end put to it. The police need to be sorted out as well

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    This crap has been polluting our country for decades, thank God its been brought out into the open, and with any luck , has an end put to it.

Agree

The police need to be sorted out as well
                    Fat chance
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X