• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Contractor

Hi All,

Hopefully I have just negotiated my first contracting role which is for 6 months in the IT Sector. I have more or less decided to go with the Limited Company set up along side the Flat Rate VAT Scheme to obtain the 5.5 - 6.5% extra on the rate.

Now here's the thing my Wife who is currently employed and on Maternity leave is also looking at doing some contracting work but this will be in the Social Care Sector and to be honest wont really be active for 8 months or so.

Will we be best of starting the Limited company with her as a Director as well and a shareholder, and if so what would be the best course of action when registering the company i.e. do we need to categories the business in some way to deal with both areas of the business.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Nowt wrong with you both working through the same company.

Comment

And...

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Nowt wrong with you both working through the same company.
      It may also have benefits in view of the crazy tests the PCG are about to foist on the contracting world - having more than one person generating revenue could be an advantage.

Other small factors may be how much accountants would charge for one company versus two.

Comment

Originally posted by dyven View Post
        Will we be best of starting the Limited company with her as a Director as well and a shareholder, and if so what would be the best course of action when registering the company i.e. do we need to categories the business in some way to deal with both areas of the business.
        You are on safe footing here. A company can do more than one thing - gone are the days when the Articles spell out what the company does to earn its money.

Also, on the flat rate VAT scheme, register under the trade sector where most of your revenue will be coming from (probably IT by the sounds). Once your wife starts working, and you both decide to share the company, she will also charge VAT on her invoices, and VAT due to the HMRC for her income will be worked on using your IT trade sector percentage.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

On the subject of VAT, the fact that she will be contracting in the "social care sector" might suggest that the services would be outside the scope of VAT so being on the flat rate scheme could present problems as you would have to apply the flat rate to ALL of the turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxedToDeath View Post
            It may also have benefits in view of the crazy tests the PCG are about to foist on the contracting world - having more than one person generating revenue could be an advantage.

Other small factors may be how much accountants would charge for one company versus two.
            You seem to be either badly informed or paranoid delusional. PCG are not foisting anything on anyone.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

along side the Flat Rate VAT Scheme to obtain the 5.5 - 6.5% extra on the rate.
              If you are talking about the difference between 20% standard VAT and the 13.5% 1st year/14.5% charged using the FRS, then these rates are charged against Gross billing, so the actually additional amount isn't that high.

I think it works out nearer to 2.5% to 3% of sales.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                On the subject of VAT, the fact that she will be contracting in the "social care sector" might suggest that the services would be outside the scope of VAT so being on the flat rate scheme could present problems as you would have to apply the flat rate to ALL of the turnover.
                Huh? If its outside the scope of VAT, it stays out of the flat rate VAT calculation. Actually.....I see your point, the supply may be 'Exempt', which then does cause flat rate VAT problems. To the OP, check if the supplies your partner will make are exempt from VAT. If they are, it might be better she starts her own company, or if the work will be piecemeal to start with (and not through any agency), perhaps she just registers as a self-employed person.

This may (or may not ) help;
                HM Revenue & Customs
                2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Yes I misunderstood the flat rate structure, thanks Scrag Meister for pointing it out. Looks likes it around 2.6% benefit (3.8% in the first year), Enough to pay for lunch and drinks!!!!

Regarding the Social Care, She wont be contracting actual physical social work i.e. as a care worker but more around doing some Research type consulting in that field and reviewing care homes etc and I think it fits into one of the categories mentioned in the flat rate scheme at 11% on that basis.Think will continue to have a combined company rather than separate top ease paperwork/admin.

Just waiting to get my contract through from the agency for the role including something they referred to as an Outside IR35 Compliant statement I presume this is to coordinate the contract which is outside of the IR35 Rules and my working practices to ensure I act in a way that is outside of the IR35 Rules. Would like to know what you guys think about this and whether this compliant statement is just a matter of course or not.

Next Steps for me it seems is to set up a Ltd company and get registered on the flat rate scheme. I know the ltd company set up wont take up a long time as there are services online or could go direct to companies house. But the VAT scheme set up can take up to 8 weeks. How would this work in the interim i.e. I don't have a VAT number but I need to start billing my agency. Would I bill them excluding VAT and then send a VAT only invoice for the previous invoices when the VAT number arises or just forget about the VAT on the previous invoices.

Finally I understand you are not mandated to name a company secretary anymore for a limited company, are there and pros and cons around this.

PS any recommendations around particular organisations to use for company setup would be appreciated. Not looking for an accountant as I plan to do the books myself or with the Mrs. Just a company to get the company up and give me copies of documents and templates of company minutes and dividend vouchers etc.

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Yes I misunderstood the flat rate structure, thanks Scrag Meister for pointing it out. Looks likes it around 2.6% benefit (3.8% in the first year), Enough to pay for lunch and drinks!!!!

Regarding the Social Care, She wont be contracting actual physical social work i.e. as a care worker but more around doing some Research type consulting in that field and reviewing care homes etc and I think it fits into one of the categories mentioned in the flat rate scheme at 11% on that basis.Think will continue to have a combined company rather than separate top ease paperwork/admin.

Just waiting to get my contract through from the agency for the role including something they referred to as an Outside IR35 Compliant statement I presume this is to coordinate the contract which is outside of the IR35 Rules and my working practices to ensure I act in a way that is outside of the IR35 Rules. Would like to know what you guys think about this and whether this compliant statement is just a matter of course or not.

Next Steps for me it seems is to set up a Ltd company and get registered on the flat rate scheme. I know the ltd company set up wont take up a long time as there are services online or could go direct to companies house. But the VAT scheme set up can take up to 8 weeks. How would this work in the interim i.e. I don't have a VAT number but I need to start billing my agency. Would I bill them excluding VAT and then send a VAT only invoice for the previous invoices when the VAT number arises or just forget about the VAT on the previous invoices.

Finally I understand you are not mandated to name a company secretary anymore for a limited company, are there and pros and cons around this.

PS any recommendations around particular organisations to use for company setup would be appreciated. Not looking for an accountant as I plan to do the books myself or with the Mrs. Just a company to get the company up and give me copies of documents and templates of company minutes and dividend vouchers etc.

Thanks again
                    I think they are trying to con you into signing an Opt Out statement. Read the sticky on here about why this might not be a good idea. As for being inside or outside IR35, get the contract reviewed by an expert and make sure you understand the rules. There are very good guides on here to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X