• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4-day working week anyone (apart from this week)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-day working week anyone (apart from this week)?

As the next one is going to be, anyone has a normal 4-day working week in UK?

In the Netherlands it was not really uncommon. And not like here where they just give you 20% less and 20% more overtime so you just end up losing 20%.

I regret a bit not accepting a permie job with a major dutch bank at that time, 4-day a week would dramatically improve your quality of life.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I keep forgetting about bank holidays. I've not had a bank holiday for years unless the wife reminds me that there is nobody in her office.

It's actually quite <FleetwoodInsurance>embarrassing</FleetwoodInsurance> saying you're coming in on Monday to install an app on the clients server when it's a BH.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

client's
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
        client's

Unlucky hyperD.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

GODDDAMMITTT!

I can't afford the Fleetwood <Fleetwood Grammar Shield Mode="Tautology">Grammer</Fleetwood Grammar Shield> Shield™ subscription that covers you for the entire content!!!
          Last edited by hyperD; 26 May 2006, 10:03.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
            GODDDAMMITTT!

I can't afford the Fleetwood Grammer Shield™ subscription that covers you for the entire content!!!

Very good.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Bugger! Even the "By word/Edit many times" subscription fails me!!!!

Comment

Prior to my better half finding work - and putting the kids into nursery - I worked four day weeks for several months. Now I take the odd day "off" to pursue personal activities..Like the Queen's recent visit to my area of chav land.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  As the next one is going to be, anyone has a normal 4-day working week in UK?
                  Think this sort of thing is not uncommon in the public sector in the UK. Quite a few people did this sort of thing in one of the gov't departments I worked for. Indeed some of the managers seemed to be doing just 3 day weeks.

I was allowed to work a 4 day week for 6 months or so at one point, though in my case, being a contractor, still had to put in the standard 37.5 hours.

Comment

Oh Yes!

My regular working week for my major client is a 4 day week. I work 4 long days from Monday - Thursday (so totalling the equivalent hours of a 5 day week), then have Friday to either work for other clients, or just take a 3 day weekend.

Only downside is that as it is so far from home I am away for these 4 days, so swings and roundabouts really.

The client is in the UK though.

Comment

Working...
                    X