• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote desktop broadband requirements in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote desktop broadband requirements in UK

What kind of Internet connection do you need in the uk if you want to work from Home using a remote desktop into your office machine?

I'm trying to work out if I can work from home whilst visiting my folks in the uk

I manage it with ~1mb connection.

Thank god I am moving back to somewhere with a population soon...
    Still Invoicing

Comment

You can do it with 100kb per user - if you do the following:

Reduce the desktop to 16bit from 32
      Browse locally, rather than on RDP

my 2 cents (on 128kb now RDP office)

Comment

Doesn't everyone have 100MB cable?
        Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Remote Desktop is actually quite good with regards to connection needs.
          I've had good experiences even when on a not so good mobile connection.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Doomage ->

No, and if you're with Virgin media , using their "SuperHub" I bet you don't either (in peak hours). Unless you're super lucky and one of the golden few who do get the 100MB.

According to OFCOM, you only need 20% of whats advertised during peak hours and its ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              According to OFCOM, you only need 20% of whats advertised during peak hours and its ok.
              That's laughable.

If I get less than the advertised speed at any time of the day it's usually because the server at the other end is slow.

Of course I'm not in the UK.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

When we were looking at offshoring at a former employer, we tested what connection would let them access our PCs adequately (we wanted to keep the work and test kit on-site). I seem to remember we got down to 64Kb but that was with VNC rather than RDP.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks, i've decided to go with a serviced office. Cheap and gets me away from the relatives for a bit each day.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    Doomage ->

No, and if you're with Virgin media , using their "SuperHub" I bet you don't either (in peak hours). Unless you're super lucky and one of the golden few who do get the 100MB.

Fair enough.

Doesn't everyone have upwards of 80MB cable?
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X