• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So this is what Microsoft call progress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is what Microsoft call progress?

In my bench time I've noticed the job specs getting more and more like novels rather than shopping lists. Some new terms out there for me, as I've not really been doing coding roles for the past couple of years.

Bearing in mind I've been courting a classic asp role this past couple of days I have had a glaring insight into the then and now.

So what was classic asp, vb6 middleware with COM+. html and css has become some utter .Net 4, html 5, MVC3 mindfck.

Time to wear leather elbow patches and not even think about venturing back into coding or was the MCTS book on 70-515 worth the £29 and I should get into all this MVC crap?

And TDD and all the agile garb? Plus knowledge of exotics and derivatives a must, and fluent in Estonian?

A man could go nuts just trying to earn a crust.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I think you need a plan B so you can use the tools you know to make money.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Move out of development.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        In my bench time I've noticed the job specs getting more and more like novels rather than shopping lists. Some new terms out there for me, as I've not really been doing coding roles for the past couple of years.

Bearing in mind I've been courting a classic asp role this past couple of days I have had a glaring insight into the then and now.

So what was classic asp, vb6 middleware with COM+. html and css has become some utter .Net 4, html 5, MVC3 mindfck.

Time to wear leather elbow patches and not even think about venturing back into coding or was the MCTS book on 70-515 worth the £29 and I should get into all this MVC crap?

And TDD and all the agile garb? Plus knowledge of exotics and derivatives a must, and fluent in Estonian?

A man could go nuts just trying to earn a crust.
        I was asked to develop an app in rapid time during my last role due to another guy wasting 4 months on an utter piece of crap. I ended up developing a suite of Classic ASP apps 10 x faster than the guy tried to do it in .NET 4.0. I have used .NET 4.0 and no doubt it is a superb technology but Classic ASP is so light weight, efficient and quick to develop in (once you have a few years experience in it) I don't see why it isn't used more often to deliver strategic/in house solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Move out of the country.

That's better.

Tone

Comment

Move out of development.
            You've seen what happens when he tries that. They quickly side-track him into doing some VBA/DBA work until he gets the hint and leaves.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Move out of development.
              Are you a .NET 4 MVC design pattern spouting Jedi?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Are you sure you are cut out for this contracting lark?

When you see the shopping list of tools and technologies you should be saying to yourself "is that all, I've used all those since pre-alpha stage".

Comment

Are you a .NET 4 MVC design pattern spouting Jedi?
                  Raj! Can you tell me what this fella is talking about? And then can you let me know how much cheaper you are than him.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In my bench time
                    Get a fooking job already.

Comment

Working...
                    X