PDA

View Full Version : Was Galileo a liar?

xoggoth
2nd May 2012, 17:31
If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

Can any CUK astronomers explain it?

AtW
2nd May 2012, 17:33

You should ask Sir Patrick Moore (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9238579/The-only-good-Kraut-is-a-dead-Kraut-Sir-Patrick-Moore-says.html) about Spanish Inquisition ...

xoggoth
2nd May 2012, 17:39
atW, that link gives Matt cartoon, "You are lost". Probably about right, last night I calculated where Venus should be before starting out for the pub and ended up in Leeds.

Cliphead
2nd May 2012, 17:41
If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

You go to the pub at the same time every day?

Neither will stay in the same place but for different reasons. Venus is a planet and will over time move across the night sky and sometimes show retrograde movement as it stops and seems to move backwards, down to relative positions and orbital velocities.

As for Orion or any other constellation these are fixed and only show up in a different place depending on the time of year as the Earth tilts on it's axis in orbit around the Sun. Orion will be higher in the sky (or rise earlier), in winter for instance.

AtW
2nd May 2012, 17:46
What about Uranus?

:igmc:

Cliphead
2nd May 2012, 17:47
What about Uranus?

It was only a matter of time :eyes

Diver
2nd May 2012, 17:51
What about Uranus?

This rises in the morning at the same time as you do every day. It may lower once or twice a day, but will invariably rise again. at night it goes down the same time as you do, but may rise during the night.
NASA may be sending a probe to Uranus this year, but the concern is that it may burn up on entry :smokin

hyperD
2nd May 2012, 17:59

It's Zeity juggling on his mothership!

EternalOptimist
2nd May 2012, 18:46
of course, the earths axis doesn't tilt as it goes around the sun

the earths axis is tilted, and the earth spins on its axis, as it goes around the sun.

and the earths tilted axis , does wobble, but decadaly. ish.

difficult to explain , without pictures

:rolleyes:

hyperD
2nd May 2012, 18:57

http://gifs.gifbin.com/122009/1260993809_bouncing_jello.gif

TimberWolf
2nd May 2012, 19:12
Orion was high in the sky in winter, but is probably now only visible near the horizon just after dusk. I haven't seen any stars for about a month.

For some post-pub fun you could try telling the time to within 30 minutes with Polaris, and your latitude with your hands.

xoggoth
2nd May 2012, 19:21
Nope. They are all in exactly the same place at all times of the day, if I leave my house at 11AM, there's Venus right in front of my door and Orion is just over the pub. I've had enough of all your lies, you ain't fooling me any more.

TimberWolf
2nd May 2012, 19:22
Nope. They are all in exactly the same place at all times of the day, if I leave my house at 11AM, there's Venus right in front of my door and Orion is just over the pub. I've had enough of all your lies, you ain't fooling me any more.

Are you sure what you think is Venus isn't a street light or the pub window in the distance?

xoggoth
2nd May 2012, 19:24
I see the EU is looking for new members on the moons of Jupiter or something, geuss they have to find somebody to lend money to Spain.

Cliphead
2nd May 2012, 19:32

It's a glitch in the matrix.

nomadd
2nd May 2012, 20:11

It's been overcast and pi55ing it down for four weeks solid, so the answer is that you are simply trolling. :D

minestrone
2nd May 2012, 20:57
I am told that I am spinning round a sun on a spinning planet with a spinning moon but the universe is spinning round me.

Doggy Styles
2nd May 2012, 20:58

Can any CUK astronomers explain it?Wasn't Galileo one of the Illuminati or whatever they were called? He made it up.

Diver
2nd May 2012, 21:18
of course, the earths axis doesn't tilt as it goes around the sun

the earths axis is tilted, and the earth spins on its axis, as it goes around the sun.

and the earths tilted axis , does wobble, but decadaly. ish.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/DeepTask/precession_1.jpg

:smokin

Diver
2nd May 2012, 21:23
The earth is flat and rests on the backs of four huge elephants which are in turn standing on the back of an enormous turtle as it slowly swims through space.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/DeepTask/300px-SkyOneDiscworld.png

You know it makes sense :smokin

mudskipper
2nd May 2012, 21:26

That's me going upstairs, that is. Hic.

EternalOptimist
3rd May 2012, 01:36

Take Divers diagram. Imagine the sun is just where it says rotation.

The Northern hemisphere is tilted directly towards the sun, it's misummers day.

as the earth moves a quarter of the way round, its the autumnal equinox

then when its on the opposite side, the NH is tilted away from the sun, thats mid winter

then the spring equinox then back to summer.

In addition, the axis wobbles a bit, leading to interesting climatic changes. At the moment the north pole is racing away from the US and towards Russia at a very fast pace indeed

SupremeSpod
3rd May 2012, 06:28
Wasn't Galileo one of the Illuminati or whatever they were called? He made it up.

Considering Galileo died in 1642 and Weishaupt didn't form the "Illuminati" until 1776, what do you think? :facepalm:

Take this :igmc:go and read a few factual books, might I recommend anything by "The Invisible College", they've been producing interesting pamphlets etc since 1660.

Diver
3rd May 2012, 08:06
In addition, the axis wobbles a bit, leading to interesting climatic changes. At the moment the north pole is racing away from the US and towards Russia at a very fast pace indeed

The North pole is defecting to the Russians :eek:

If only the british poles would do the same :smokin

Doggy Styles
3rd May 2012, 10:50
Considering Galileo died in 1642 and Weishaupt didn't form the "Illuminati" until 1776, what do you think? :facepalm:

Take this :igmc:go and read a few factual books, might I recommend anything by "The Invisible College", they've been producing interesting pamphlets etc since 1660.I get all my historical facts from Dan Brown. You can f*** right off.

:laugh

Bunk
3rd May 2012, 11:15
It's a glitch in the matrix.

Sorry, was probably me :bang:

Do an update, think I've fixed it now.

Bunk
3rd May 2012, 11:17
You do all realise that the stars are just little holes in the black material we made the sky out of, don't you?

Well fix it you cheapskate lizard :mad:

SupremeSpod
3rd May 2012, 11:51
I get all my historical facts from Dan Brown. You can f*** right off.

:laugh

He's just a smelly plagiarist!

Actually, I don't know if he is smelly.