• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

going dutch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going dutch

anyone have any experience of working out in amsterdam?

apart from the glaring obvious. just want a view of lifestyle, accommodation, people, infrastructure, transport, food, wine and errr women?

e d

Plenty of women in Amsterdam. They seem to spend a lot of time standing in windows with very liitle on.
    Visit the Banana Bar.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

come on seriously.

apart from the red light district.

what is it like to contract in amsterdam.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
        Plenty of women in Amsterdam. They seem to spend a lot of time standing in windows with very liitle on.
        Visit the Banana Bar.
        Banana Bar for the win!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Dont forget
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
            come on seriously.

apart from the red light district.

what is it like to contract in amsterdam.
            No idea. Have been several times, but purely social.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

El Duder, I would be keen to find out too - do you work in Telecoms?

I heard that working in Holland would require you to pay Dutch taxes - can anyone throw any light on this?

Comment

no finance sector.

good point made.

Comment

I did a year in a telco there in 99.

Loved it but started enjoying the party lifestyle a bit too much near the end.

You will probably have to pay tax at source nowadays.

Accommodation is a bit of a 'mare. There is a shortage. try viavia.nl Lot of high quality council places are illegally sublet.

I tended to avoid the centre and obvious places at weekends as there were too many Brit/Irish/German stag weekends. Pretty ugly.
                  But during the week it was cool.

A

Comment

useful info...

Contracting in the Netherlands
                    Legal Considerations

Dutch law states that all non-Dutch individuals working in the Netherlands must be employees and, furthermore, that Dutch tax, where not eliminated under a Double Tax Treaty (see below), has to be deducted via monthly withholding and paid across to the Dutch tax authorities at that time. It is therefore not legal for a non-Dutch individual to work in the Netherlands as a sole trader or member of a partnership although some individuals continue to operate in this way

Comment

Working...
                    X