PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any thoughts as to what the contracting market is like in the Midlands?

JohnCage
2nd May 2012, 21:57
Good evening all,

Newbie here as you can well guess from the thread title and the post count.

Little bit of history, I'm still a permie, and am looking into dipping my toe, and the rest of my body, into this contract malarkey.

My gut feeling tells me this could be a good gig and accept the risks & rewards that this choice could bring but what is causing me to err on the side of caution is the fact I have no idea as to what the market is currently like (Other than in general it is somewhat bleak in parts, much like the weather)

Qualifications wise I am a certified CCNP, MCSE and NCDA chap. I'm also doing quite a bit with virtualisation at the moment. However, More important (Well I think) than the bits of paper I have the skills & experience in these areas to match.

My only concern is are these skills in demand, and are they in demand in the Midlands? I'm not averse to travelling further afield but one of my motivators for much of this is to redress the work life balance so I can make time to work on my Plan B.

I've done a lot of reading and researching and seen a few roles but I was looking for some honest feedback as to what things are like at the moment.

At least so I can see if I have to crack open plan C or not :)

Cheers,

northernladuk
3rd May 2012, 10:05
There some hot spots of work in the area but I don't think this is the right approach. If you are going to make good go of contracting in the market as it is you have to be prepared to travel and go where you skills are required. If you want to stay within an hour of home your chances of getting work are going to be severely restricted and you are going to have to make you peace with the bench. You will be relying on an element of luck as well.

I am not exactly sure of the market in the Midlands but it certainly doesn't strike a cord with me when I was looking. Some stuff in MKeynes, Cheltnam but certainly wasn't flooded with stuff. I would be very nervous about starting contracting looking to work in the Midlands IMO but that you have to do your homework.

cojak
3rd May 2012, 10:22
Most of the work is in London at the moment.

SimonMac
3rd May 2012, 10:29
I like to think my USP is that location is not an issue for me, touch word I have never had to contract in London (Surrey and Sussex is the closest) I have seen SOME work in the Midlands, but again it depends on what you class as the Midlands you might have to travel out to Nottingham/Derby.

On a selfish point the more inflexible you are the more contracts there are for me (although we are not competing in roles by the looks of it)

BrilloPad
3rd May 2012, 11:14
If you are going to make good go of contracting in the market as it is you have to be prepared to travel and go where you skills are required.

+1

Also important to build up a warchest - there are bound to be times when you are benched. Don't spend all your money on cocaine/hookers/wild living. They are expensive. Or even worse do what I did and go for the most expensive thing around - marriage. :laugh

norrahe
7th May 2012, 23:00
Most of the work is in London at the moment.

Unfortunately :frown