• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VIRUS: Caught One!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIRUS: Caught One!

OK, tried repeatedly with a clean XP/IE6 VM, and nothing.

Switched to an XP/IE7 VM, and lo! I have a Java-based something trying to do me over

I caught it because I'm running the VM's web connection through an HTTP debugging proxy, so I should have all the info necessary to work out how it's being delivered, and therefore which bit of CUK is pumping it out.

I'll see what I can find out about it and get together with admin to sort things out. Hopefully we should be able to get rid of this crap ASAP

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    OK, tried repeatedly with a clean XP/IE6 VM, and nothing.

Switched to an XP/IE7 VM, and lo! I have a Java-based something trying to do me over

I caught it because I'm running the VM's web connection through an HTTP debugging proxy, so I should have all the info necessary to work out how it's being delivered, and therefore which bit of CUK is pumping it out.

I'll see what I can find out about it and get together with admin to sort things out. Hopefully we should be able to get rid of this crap ASAP
    Oh bugger. Rumbled.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I imagine it's most likely a link someone included in a post.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I imagine it's most likely a link someone included in a post.
        No, it's activated before the page rendering gets that far. In fact it was on the /general page, so I haven't even managed to view any posts yet: it's written in Java, and the VM I'm using doesn't have Java installed (clean XP SP2), so IE has errored out after downloading it.

Comment

Thanks Nick! That is wicked news. Will be home in a bit and will catch up with you then. Send me over whatever you have found. Dim, why on earth are you still running IE7?

Comment

Can we fix the virus that fills general up with crap as well?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Can we fix the virus that fills general up with crap as well?
              Yes but it would involve banning most of the congregation
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Can Admin/Nick please confirm that this is a IE 7 isolated problem and does not affect IE 10/Firefox/Chrome ??

Its important I know this straight away.

<waits with fingers poised over the delete account button>
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Can Admin/Nick please confirm that this is a IE 7 isolated problem and does not affect IE 10/Firefox/Chrome ??

Its important I know this straight away.

<waits with fingers poised over the delete account button>
                  Not certain yet: the code is heavily obfuscated and mixed in with perfectly valid stuff. I have one confirmation of it being seen in Opera. I also seem to have had one occurrence of Safari (on Mac) being fed the link, but the server containing the nasty just returned a zero-length response, presumably because it realised it wouldn't do any good.

I'll post info as I find it.

Actually scrub that: I've just tried Firefox (old, probably 3.6) and Chrome (fresh install) on the same VM and they were fine. Went back to IE7 and it got a nasty thrown at it again. So the code is definitely trying to avoid downloading anything on Firefox and Chrome, at least on the times I've tried.

Just installed Opera: it was sent an empty response, like Safari. So at a guess it's deliberately avoiding trying anything on Firefox and Chrome, and the server is not sending anything to Opera and Safari. But this is all tentative at this stage.

I haven't got IE10, so I can't say about that. I'll try it on IE8 later.

Comment

IE9 for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X