• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What vs which?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What vs which?

Every time I see a poll - e.g. what Porsche do you drive? my inner voice tells me that it should be which.

I can't find any nice website that explains it succinctly, but I would always go for which if presenting a set of options to choose from.

Am I right, or is what perfectly acceptable?

Poll to follow.
    What?
    12.50%
    Which?
    62.50%
    Why?
    12.50%
    Too busy with AndyW's mum to care.
    12.50%

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Every time I see a poll - e.g. what Porsche do you drive? my inner voice tells me that it should be which.

I can't find any nice website that explains it succinctly, but I would always go for which if presenting a set of options to choose from.

Am I right, or is what perfectly acceptable?

Poll to follow.
    AtW is Russian, English isn't his first language so might I suggest, nicely, THAT YOU GET OFF HIS BACK BITCH!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      AtW is Russian, English isn't his first language so might I suggest, nicely, THAT YOU GET OFF HIS BACK BITCH!
      What language is his first?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Gibberish?
        Bollocks?
        Crap?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          Not just AtW - most of the polls have a what rather than a which. Don't think it's necessarily incorrect - just doesn't sound right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            just doesn't sound right to me.
            Which public school did you attend?

Comment

Which public school did you attend? And can you still fit in the uniform?
              ftfy

Comment

What is an interrogative pronoun. Which is an interrogative adjective. You should therefore say, 'Which porsche should I key?'

You should also say, 'What should I key?'

If you said, 'Which should I I key?' then. 'which' is a pronominal usage. The noun is understood: 'which car', 'which one', 'which porsche'.

However, that is all a very 19th century grammarian view that reflects the view that English should behave as the snapshot if Latin that we have in extant literature. In fact English is more flexible and dynamic than that. Usage changes and this change in usage makes it 'correct'. We seem comfortable with a magazine called, 'What Car'. Maybe they didn't fancy a court battle with 'Which'.

Comment

How.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    How.
                    How.

Comment

Working...
                    X