• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get windows XP on my laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get windows XP on my laptop

I have a laptop thats a bit dated. Its Celeron with 512mb ram but has no CD or bootable usb port(from bios). Space restricting, this thing is very small, but ideal for trains, sat nav in car etc

The machine is locked with windows2000 pro and I have no password to get in and back on the network.

I plan to put XP on it but how can I without a CD, a windows password or a bootable usb drive(bios limiting). Take out the drive and build on another laptop and put back in?

Taking out the disk rarely works as XP doesn't generally survive changing chipsets etc. I had a splitter that allowed you to use two IDE devices from a 2.5" IDE connector and an adaptor to connect another 3.5" IDE device (in your case CDROM). That and an old AT PSU (with a real on off switch) to power the CDROM means you can connect a CDROM to the machine and install normally.

If anyone knows anything better I'd be glad to know!
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Can you not copy the contents of the XP CD onto the HDD (by taking it out and connecting it to something else)? I'm not sure if you can make that boot straight to the install, or whether you'll need to get something like DOS(!) on there first.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you have a floppy disk drive then go to this site..

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Download the 1.4Mb image and create the boot disk. Boot off it and reset the local Administrator password to blank.

Comment

Sounds like a case for The Ultimate Boot CD - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ - which includes the above link as well as tons of other useful little utilities.

Every techie should have a copy of this kicking around...
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
            If you have a floppy disk drive then go to this site..

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Download the 1.4Mb image and create the boot disk. Boot off it and reset the local Administrator password to blank.
            That works on servers too

Saved my ass a couple of times when people have left the company and taken the admin password with them!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

As above, reset Administrator Password using ERD Commander.

www.winternals.com

Brilliant tool, used it on an NT4 monitoring machine, a few months back.
              Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Comment

That ERD commander is a bit pricey!!!!

$499
                7-day temporary license

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  That ERD commander is a bit pricey!!!!

$499
                  7-day temporary license
                  Typical PHB decision. Why use a free tool when you can pay through the nose for one instead?
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Certainly does cost a bit! Nice tool if you can get hold of it tho.

SpaceCadets floppy should do the same thing.
                    Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Comment

Working...
                    X