• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One of the upsides to living in London...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the upsides to living in London...

Bought a set of sofas a couple of weeks ago, they were delivered today.

I'd sent out a fleabay email to friends, one of whom had laid claim to the old sofas. Fell through at the last minute and he couldn't take them.
    The guys who delivered our new ones didn't have enough space in the van to take the old ones. Nevermind, we thought. Stick them outside near the recycling and we'll get the council to take them away.

Mrs RH & I just came back from a pub lunch, and both the couches were gone! Can't have left them for more than 2 hours.
    Pleased in a way, as they have many more years life left in them and they've gone to a home instead of the tip.

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

Comment

I'd sent out a fleabay email to friends, one of whom had laid claim to the old sofas. Fell through at the last minute and he couldn't take them.
      The guys who delivered our new ones didn't have enough space in the van to take the old ones. Nevermind, we thought. Stick them outside near the recycling and we'll get the council to take them away.

Mrs RH & I just came back from a pub lunch, and both the couches were gone! Can't have left them for more than 2 hours.
      Pleased in a way, as they have many more years life left in them and they've gone to a home instead of the tip.

Mine were also delivered in a couple of weeks.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Pleased you live in a criminal area (unless you put a notice saying free to a good home?) >?

Comment

We put out our old dishwasher. Lasted 1 minute!

Comment

Remember not to leave your window open.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There must be a depression going on if someone is desperate to steal RH's fart infested old sofa.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I'd put them out next to the bins & recycling. Just found out the local Saffa brigade have appropriated them to recline by the braai.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                  Pleased you live in a criminal area (unless you put a notice saying free to a good home?) >?
                  Saying "free" tends to put people off. Put a sign on that says "£25 - ring bell if interested" and they'll disappear quickly.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Saying "free" tends to put people off. Put a sign on that says "£25 - ring bell if interested" and they'll disappear quickly.
                    I am told that method works well in the US, especially for old computers or washing machines that don't work.

The culprit isn't actually going to come back and complain that they've nicked a dud
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X