• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar chargers not looking so tulip now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar chargers not looking so tulip now

I was looking at solar chargers again today and they don't look as bad as in days of yore, as long as you get one of a decent size.

Amazon.com: The sCharger-5 is a Powerful Compact Solar Charger that can Both Charge and Actually Run At The Same Time, iPod, iPhone(3, 4, & 4S), Droid, HTC, Samsung, and Many Other Portable Devices Directly from the Sun: Cell Phones & Accessories

£100 for up to 5 watts, which is enough to charge a smart phone in a few hours. I reckon a UK noon day sun might just about approach that, with 1 to 2 watts average power for the day. These use higher efficiency panels than in the past and are looking like viable sources of (expensive) mobile power.

Handy for camping, though I don't know what use you hotel dwellers would have for them.

If they get a bit smaller, one could be built into the laptop lid.

Edit: already done
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Hmm, sun baked PC.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        £100 for up to 5 watts, which is enough to charge a smart phone in a few hours.
        I thought you were charging your phone in public places with unprotected power sockets?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

First Sun Powered Laptop Sold in US
          I thought Oracle had bought Sun.

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
          X