• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 2000 year old computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2000 year old computer

Very interesting programme about the Antikythera Mechanism

Antikythera mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is repeated this evening on BBC4 at 22:25.

Stunned & amazed by the sophistication of the design.

Stunned & amazed at the dedication of the chaps & chapesses who reverse engineered the thing.

Particularly amazed at the custom X-ray machine designed especially for the job.

I thought this was amazing, and humbling in a way. I think someone nearby was involved in it, saw the poster for the show on their car window & door.

Even the aspects of translating the text were incredible. And modelling the elliptical orbit of the moon!

The boffins were classic.

Still, a pretty tulip computer, no USB or Wifi.
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Couldn't a Raspberry PI do the same thing?

The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Going to watch it on iPlayer now...
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Hang on a minute...

If that thing was invented 2000 years ago, why the **** did the dark ages happen and why haven't we seen similar items through history?

Comment

Watched it last week and an amazing feat of engineering from the Greeks although I questioned the title of the program.
            one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Hang on a minute...

If that thing was invented 2000 years ago, why the **** did the dark ages happen and why haven't we seen similar items through history?
              Because religion liked to crush science (and still does).

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                It's a fair enough title really, since it's a 2000 year old analogue computer.

Computers need not be digital.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/C...alog/pace1.jpg

<ZG in "I used to know how to program analogue computers in a former life" mode>
                How come it too so long for analog computers that produce tide tables to be developed?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Hang on a minute...

Er, cos the ancient Greek civilisation collapsed!

No one else picked it up (literally). The ancient Greeks were also close to developing steam power but that was lost for nigh on 2000 years until the industrial revolution came along.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    You don't need steam power if you have enough slaves.
                    Bit of a generalisation. And you need a lot of space and food to keep plenty of slaves in good enough condition to be worthwhile.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X