• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D. Year incurred or year paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D. Year incurred or year paid?

I'm just doing my P35 so need to tell them whether a P11D is to follow. I didn't claim any expenses last personal tax year, but it now occurs to me that there were a few allowable long drives it would be worth suffering a bit of paperwork for. Can I claim and settle these now, even though the expenses were incurred last last, and if so do they go down on this July's P11D?

If you're just paying mileage, at approved rates, then it doesn't need to go on the P11D at all.

Or are you claiming for other travel?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      If you're just paying mileage, at approved rates, then it doesn't need to go on the P11D at all.

Or are you claiming for other travel?
      Aha, that's easy then! Thanks.

Out of interest, if there had been a P11D reportable expense, a train trip on personal credit card which I hadn't claimed for yet for instance...?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post

Out of interest, if there had been a P11D reportable expense, a train trip on personal credit card which I hadn't claimed for yet for instance...?
        The P11D now would cover the period 06/04/2011 to 05/04/2012, so if the journey was carried out in say May 2011 it would get included in the July P11D. The money would have been paid by you personally in May 2011 and would show as owing to you (Credit DLA) up until you repaid it to yourself, so the transaction took place in the 11/12 tax year.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post

You need to get an accountant. It sounds like he will be able to save you much more than he costs.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X