• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wednesday Story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Story

I was working at UBS (before it got taken over by SBC Warburg) in the early nineties. I did 2 stints there for 1 team - I finally ended up doing 4 stints there and a 5th at the 'new' UBS.

Anyway - in the 2 stint case it was a RAD developer for money market traders. Part of the RAIDER suite. We always liked to hand feed our traders. By far the biggest book was the USD book which was run by the head off desk - one of those traders who made loads of money, never get upset, a lovely bloke. When he was away he let his assistants take over - which meant you had 2 teenagers running a 30bn dollar book!

On one of those days they were busy buying and selling. One assistant borrowed some money. Booked trade. But they did it on the other assistant's pc while they were getting a coffee. Alas they did not realise that one had defaulted the borrow option and one had defaulted the lend option. So they booked a lend and 30 minutes later 10m USD was sent to the counterparty.

Luckily it was a good counterparty and we got the money straight back. But it forced us to recode so that user had to select borrow or lend.

Sometimes you can help the users out way too much.

Others are not so lucky. I was contracting at CLBN Rotterdam when they bought a VAX computer for 1mUSD and financed it via Atlantic computers. Some bright spark sent them 1mUSD! THey never did see that money back.

Well I liked the story Brillo even if no one else did.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Paragraph 2, sentence 2 - "our traders"

DISGUISED PERMIE ALERT!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Paragraph 2, sentence 2 - "our traders"

ACTUAL PERMIE ALERT!
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Well I liked the story Brillo even if no one else did.
          what story

Oh! getcha
          You actually read all them words

I like brillow, but not enough to wade through more tha a sentence or two

Hi BP
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            FTFY
            I was a contractor at the time.

But I still felt ownership of them. We did alot for them. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              what story

Oh! getcha
              You actually read all them words

I like brillow, but not enough to wade through more tha a sentence or two

Hi BP
              Next time I want to tell a story I will mention power tools liberally throughout to get your attention....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I was working at UBS (before it got taken over by SBC Warburg) in the early nineties.
                Sad story.

Instead of slaving away for a bank you should have bought 50-70 domains names such as google.com, facebook.com, twitter.com etc and you'd be too busy on your yacht now to bother posting on here...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Sad story.

Instead of slaving away for a bank you should have bought 50-70 domains names such as google.com, facebook.com, twitter.com etc and you'd be too busy on your yacht now to bother posting on here...
                  I believe in 1991 there were only 50 domains registered?

Even egg.com earned $50k.

Comment

I think that's sad story.

Comment

Working...
                    X