• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nigel Mansell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigel Mansell

... watched some YouTube last night

Heart of a Lion, mixing it up with Senna and Prost, blitzing Silverstone, immediately recovering from a 180 spin at 190mph .... awesome

...yet playing with a F40 around Ferrari's test track wearing his finest flat cap, modelling comfy jumpers and tweed in his grandma inspired home, and sporting a moustache any Bob would be proud of ...

brilliant ... but no James Hunt !

Originally posted by jeremytaxman View Post
    but no James Hunt !
    as in the racing driver or the cockney rhyming slang?

Comment

Heart of a Lion, mixing it up with Senna and Prost, blitzing Silverstone, immediately recovering from a 180 spin at 190mph .... awesome

...yet playing with a F40 around Ferrari's test track wearing his finest flat cap, modelling comfy jumpers and tweed in his grandma inspired home, and sporting a moustache any Bob would be proud of ...

I thought he was brilliant to be honest and with a slight more bit of luck could have been a 3 * WDC. The manager of Renault F1 said of him 'I had Prost, Senna and Mansell in my time. Of them all, Mansell was the quickest. In testing, if the car was quick, then you changed something and it was slower, you know it was the car. I admired him immensely".

I always thought no one really liked him, as he was the antithesis of a modern F1 driver. If he'd been a latino, gold swathed, lothario who wandered the paddock with string bikined wahinis hanging off his arm, he'd have been worshipped the world over. However, he was a moutachioed Brummie with an un-glamourous wife who sounded terminally boring.

Magnificent driver
      Last edited by Old Hack; 16 May 2012, 13:39.

Comment

How's the Au Pair? Did you get custody?

Comment

Agreed, legend. I love to see a guy do well and sport a tasche!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            Agreed, legend. I love to see a guy do well and sport a tasche!
            Oi, AtW, one for you here!

Comment

I once saw him sat on the beach at Paignton eating fish and chips with his family.

I asked him if he was Nigel Mansell and he said yes and kindly gave me his autograph.

Nice chap.

Comment

Now theres a great username that also deserves a tasche!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  ..a moutachioed Brummie ..who sounded terminally boring.
                  I couldn't get past this when watching f1 as a boy.

IIRC Jenks wasn't much of a fan either.

Comment

I remember when he pinned Senna to the pitwall by his neck for his dangerous driving. Those were the days when drivers still caught fire and got killed, so dangerous driving was worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X