• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the minimum rate you would work for, away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the minimum rate you would work for, away from home?

In the UK or in Europe.

Is it worthwhile working away from home for £300/day? What if there's a 4 hour drive each way (so ~£100 petrol for the week) and hotel costs of £50/night. Then your other costs like food etc.

After costs & tax you might walk away with, what, £150 a day, annualised to £35,000.

And the fact that you're away from home all week, away from the family and friends.

There has to be a cut-off point right?

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    In the UK or in Europe.

Is it worthwhile working away from home for £300/day? What if there's a 4 hour drive each way (so ~£100 petrol for the week) and hotel costs of £50/night. Then your other costs like food etc.

After costs & tax you might walk away with, what, £150 a day, annualised to £35,000.

And the fact that you're away from home all week, away from the family and friends.

I would not get out of bed for £300 pd.

HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Of course. But it's different for everyone.

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I would not get out of bed for £300 pd.
      Meaning I could pay you £300 not to get out of bed all day?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In the UK or in Europe.

I'm northern based, and the rates are lower than London. If working away (as per my last contract) i.e. based in London, I work out the cost of hotels and travel and make sure I still clear the sum I will take as a minimum. I was paying £65pn for hotel, £280 trains per week. I still cleared the sum I wanted, even more so when I spent weeks not travelling and working from home!!

You just need to identify what you be happy earning based from home, and work out your travel costs. If the day rate on offer is enough to provide both, consider it. Just remember, if married with kids etc, there is an impact that a day rate will not cover... I know this, however the fact my last contract has provided a good house deposit did help a little, but I wont be doing it again (according to the wife anyway...)
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Depends how long I'd been on the bench really. I think you have a rate you want to work for, but that has to be flexible if you're not getting work. This is also dependent on how you view gaps in your CV.

You can rent rooms for £300 a month, or less, depending what standards you have. Buy a campervan (they hold onto their money, so Hector will not mind, as you're giving him more Corp tax at the end of the day).

Too many variables really.

Comment

Depends on location, client, ‘opportunity to learn new skills’, ‘time out of contract’, etc. If something was only a few miles away, I’d probably go down to an absolute minimum of £250 if I’d been out of contract for over a month.

one day at a time

Comment

I wouldn't work away from home full stop. I'd rather have extended bench time. Life's too short to be spent counting piles of gold in some cruddy hotel room in London.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I am resigned to the fact that I have to work away, but I then try to maximize my revenue as with everything else, rather than paying £65pn in a hotel I am in a house share at a little of £20pn, also means I can stay here one weekend a month saving me travelling costs
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

£300/day for a local gig maybe, for one further away you would need to add £150/day to that if it is outside of London and an additional £75-£100 if it is within London. Otherwise I would send my wife out to work until I found a local gig at £350+

Comment

Done it in the past but I won't work away now unless I was really in the brown stuff financially.
                    Spent years building up warchest to avoid this very situation.
                    I have a minimum rate I won't work below but everything is flexible after 3 months getting splinters !!

Comment

Working...
                    X