• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBA Netherlands - Any Experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBA Netherlands - Any Experience

I have been offered a long gig with Shell by MBA, and I am just going over their T&C's. Anyone got any experience of working with these guys? Maybe the wrong forum, but wanted to ask. They seem an odd lot.

Odd?

How so?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Odd?

How so?
      I don't know, they seem to want everything now, will not work with Ltd's, seem to want to do all the payroll and by that, I mean handle all of your tax affairs, a one stop shop, and that is the only way they'll do business. I don't know, I guess sometimes you have a nagging feeling you want to put to bed, and I have one, so was hoping someone here had dealt with them before. Seem a large org.

And also, 7 people got hold of me for the same role, then all tried ot carry on, despite me telling them one of them had already contacted me. They just seem a bit, well, odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        I don't know, they seem to want everything now, will not work with Ltd's, seem to want to do all the payroll and by that, I mean handle all of your tax affairs, a one stop shop, and that is the only way they'll do business. I don't know, I guess sometimes you have a nagging feeling you want to put to bed, and I have one, so was hoping someone here had dealt with them before. Seem a large org.

And also, 7 people got hold of me for the same role, then all tried ot carry on, despite me telling them one of them had already contacted me. They just seem a bit, well, odd.
        I should do some research with regards to working in the Netherlands.

"Norrahe" might be worth a PM.

Comment

Working in NL is very bureaucratic, agencies will want proof that you are eligible to carry out business in the country etc... etc..
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            I should do some research with regards to working in the Netherlands.

"Norrahe" might be worth a PM.
            Thanks Spod, Norrahe just PM'd me, which was nice.

They are offering 67% of earnings, plus whatever expenses I can get away with (kids education, moving fees etc), which would put it up to about 78% and it's a long gig, on fairly good terms. Maybe I am just being too cynical.

Comment

Thanks Spod, Norrahe just PM'd me, which was nice.

They are offering 67% of earnings, plus whatever expenses I can get away with (kids education, moving fees etc), which would put it up to about 78% and it's a long gig, on fairly good terms. Maybe I am just being too cynical.
              NL tax laws allow you to claim back a lot of stuff and as an expat you can apply for the 30% ruling which means 30% of your income is tax free for up to 8 years and also you do not pay tax on any assets you move to the country (saving etc), you can also claim back tax on any moving expenses.

MBA will try and get you to use their payroll company and as you have to have health insurance (mandatory in NL), the'll try and get you to use theirs. I've sent you a link to a very good accountant who is well versed in dealing with expats, NL tax laws but also the use of a UK limited in NL.

I used the same payroll company that MBA used for the first few months and while the admin was fine, they do not have a clue about dealing with expats, it was only when I moved to my accountant that I found out they shold have dealt with lots of stuff like the rebate on moving expenses etc...

Good luck!

NL is a very bureaucratic country to move to and you do need to do your reading before you move here. Once you're moved in and registered it should be fine
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've worked through MBA in the Netherlands, and they are very good. No problems at all.
                Worked for Flip
                (no that's his name..)

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  I've worked through MBA in the Netherlands, and they are very good. No problems at all.
                  Worked for Flip
                  (no that's his name..)
                  I once had a Dutch guy called Freek for a Neighbour.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    Worked for Flip
                    (no that's his name..)
                    BA themselves are good but they try and put you through all their payroll companies etc.... ( which aren't that good). It is easy when you first move to a new country but then you realise you're stuck with expensive payroll company and also expensive health insurance that you don't need. I've spoken to a few contractors who've been lumbered with a lot of stuff they don't really need and they are shelling out a lot per month for nowt.

Their payroll company who are supposed to be expert with expat affairs haven't a clue how to deal with people who are there long term and often you get told you cannot use a UK ltd (you can but there are some forms you need to fill in etc.... with the local tax office).

Rule of thumb is if you intend to move to another country do some research before you move.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X