• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Tax Advisor - DTA - Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Tax Advisor - DTA - Recommendations

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know of a good accountant or tax advisor who has good knowledge of the double taxation agreement between the UK and Switzerland? I just want to ensure every avenue is covered before I decide to Zurich
    In Scooter we trust

Are these any help?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...companies.html

also try English Forum Switzerland

or V FIVE
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks NLUK
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

These are a couple of links I spotted while scanning the double taxation searches. Blasterbates seems to be a bit of a god in this area as has posted a ton of detailed information on every post I could see. Might be worth dropping him a PM if he doesn't pop up later?

Comment

I don´t know enough I´m afraid, and I think this could be a tricky one. My feeling is you have to argue that you are mainly in Switzerland for the year. I do have a suspicion however what may have worked in the past, i.e. saying you´re not mainly resident might not wash anymore. In other words because it is a temp move they might argue you are mainly resident in the UK. Definitely needs the opinion of an expert. Try SJD, from what I understand they set contractors up in Europe, so they may have an expert to help out. Tax authorities do have a tendency just simply to tax you on everything and you do have to push your case forcefully.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I don´t know enough I´m afraid, and I think this could be a tricky one. My feeling is you have to argue that you are mainly in Switzerland for the year. I do have a suspicion however what may have worked in the past, i.e. saying you´re not mainly resident might not wash anymore. In other words because it is a temp move they might argue you are mainly resident in the UK. Definitely needs the opinion of an expert. Try SJD, from what I understand they set contractors up in Europe, so they may have an expert to help out. Tax authorities do have a tendency just simply to tax you on everything and you do have to push your case forcefully.
            Knowledgeable and clear advice as always BB. Nice. +ve given

Comment

Thanks guys, it turns out I got well and truly tucked up here a lesson harshly learnt. Tresag the payroll company I am using are absolutely useless and at no point mentioned any tax I would be liable for in the UK. I'm sure some of you will say I should have done my research but at the rate everything moved I didn't know my ass from my elbow plus I had my wedding to think about in between it all. I feel really let down by it all especially as Tresag are taking their chunk, I suppose that here you don't get what you pay for. I hope no one else get's caught by it as the legislation is crystal clear on this one at least.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
              X