• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

17 May 1971 Remembered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 May 1971 Remembered

A dark day in Bath's history - an event to which my grandmother bore witness after a trip to the Parade Gardens. Let me tell you the story.

The scene is Grand Parade, the time around 4 pm. A queue of people patiently awaits the No.203 bus en route from Bathford to Foxhill. The bus suddenly appears from Bridge Street but something is not right - it appears to be out of control and it is apparent that the double decker will not make it around the corner.

The driver struggles to retain control but all to no avail and the bus goes over on its side coming to rest on the bus shelters that lined Grand Parade in those days.

A few minor injuries among the passengers aboard the bus while the people in the shelters escaped completely unscathed - testament to the robustness of Victorian engineering.

Unfortunately, large sections of the famous colonnade didn't escape without damage and remedial works took some months to complete.

This was big news at the time and was front page of the Chronicle for weeks.

I will be remembering the incident this evening in my own journey home.
    Last edited by pacharan; 17 May 2012, 14:53.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I will be remembering the incident this evening in my own journey home.
    By bus?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
      By bus?
      One can only hope...

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        By bus?
        Is that you SAS?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

17 May 1971 I remember it well.
          It's the last time I had one (a bath I mean)..

Comment

Meanwhile, in Bath, a bus broods, biding its time:

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Meanwhile, in Bath, a bus broods, biding its timetable:

It's got evil little eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                It's got evil little eyes.
                An a second pair of eyes, big eyes, set 90 degrees to where they ought to be..

Comment

Monty Python: Killer Cars (and Prelude) - YouTube
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Meanwhile, in Bath, a bus broods, biding its time:

That's a very recent pic showing the new Southgate development behind the bus with the Forum hidden in the left foreground.

The rogue bus in question would have been a green Routemaster belonging to the National Bus Company, examples of which can be seen in this stunning photoset

Comment

Working...
                    X