• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie requesting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie requesting advice

Hi, I have only contracted once for a two month period (couple of years ago) which I did via an umbrella company. I have otherwise been in permanent employment. I am though going to do some contracting now and see how it goes. I have just secured a 3 month contract with a major blue chip company. It may be extended, but runs for an initial 3 month period. They have stated their offices as the place of work, but have advised that I can work from home some days each week and will need to do some travelling.

I have just had a call from the company onboarding team rushing me for a huge amount of information. I am going to be setting up a limited company imminently via the company I used before. On this type of deal am I falling foul of any rules (just trying to underastand IR35, etc)? The guy at the umbrella company (they also set up ltd companies) said I have nothing to worry about, but he wants me to sign up. The other thing I have been asked is if I want to opt out of conduct regulations. Any advice regarding my position here?

Sorry it's all a bit basic to experienced contractors, but when you are new to it, it's all a bit of a minefield.

All advice welcome. Thanks.

Hi,

Have you received a contract yet, or even a template of it?

I personally wouldn't take the word of the gentleman who is trying to sign you up as to whether all is ok. After all, he has a job to do.

It may be a good idea to get a copy of the contract, get it reviewed from an IR35 perspective, and ensure that while doing the contract that what is stated in the contract is reflected in reality. Otherwise, the contract doesn't mean anything.

Comment

There's some good information on the Opt Out on this very site

Opt in, opt out? What the employment agency regulations are all about :: Contractor UK
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by guildfordred View Post
        I am going to be setting up a limited company imminently via the company I used before.
        Regarding using the same company as before to assist you with forming the Limited Company. I can't see any issues with that if I understand the circumstances correctly.

Anyone can assist you with forming a Limited Company.

Comment

There is also the newbie guides to the right that cover everything you need from a high level over down to the nitty gritty of each area.

Any questions on those topics have been asked many times and the discussions often have interesting information that wasn't included in the guide.

There is advice on how to search the forums using google below. The site search isn't very good.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi, I have only contracted once for a two month period (couple of years ago) which I did via an umbrella company. I have otherwise been in permanent employment. I am though going to do some contracting now and see how it goes. I have just secured a 3 month contract with a major blue chip company. It may be extended, but runs for an initial 3 month period. They have stated their offices as the place of work, but have advised that I can work from home some days each week and will need to do some travelling.

I have just had a call from the company onboarding team rushing me for a huge amount of information. I am going to be setting up a limited company imminently via the company I used before. On this type of deal am I falling foul of any rules (just trying to underastand IR35, etc)? The guy at the umbrella company (they also set up ltd companies) said I have nothing to worry about, but he wants me to sign up. The other thing I have been asked is if I want to opt out of conduct regulations. Any advice regarding my position here?

Sorry it's all a bit basic to experienced contractors, but when you are new to it, it's all a bit of a minefield.

One thing I would say is dont let them hassle you and rush into signing. Get the contract and stuff reviewed first and tell them they'll have to wait.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Much as it has caused controversy, this will give you an idea of your employment status http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ir35/guidance.pdf. You will also need to make sure that whatever is contained in your contract is reflective of your actual working practises. There is a great deal of legislation surrounding this industry and I am not sure that it is helpful for your prospective accountant to say you have nothing worry about especially as he has presumably not seen the assignment details. Don't be pushed into anything - running your own company needs to be taken seriously and you need to make sure that whichever accountancy firm you use is in a position to help you through the early stages.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
              X