• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Docs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Docs

Hitting a client site tomorrow where I have been told they do everything in Google Docs. Documents, spreadsheets, forms etc

Never really used any of this stuff, so researching it all now.

Anyone use any of this stuff in anger (more than just using it as a glorified Sharepoint/eRoom to avoid MSOffice)?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Hitting a client site tomorrow where I have been told they do everything in Google Docs. Documents, spreadsheets, forms etc

Anyone use any of this stuff in anger (more than just using it as a glorified Sharepoint/eRoom to avoid MSOffice)?
    Yep. It is utter utter tulipe. Seriously.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I used Google drive for the last week, and today went back to Dropbox...

I have used google for word, editing on the fly, and it wasnt that bad. I personally dont like cloud solutions so am a little biased!
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        I used Google drive for the last week, and today went back to Dropbox...

I have used google for word, editing on the fly, and it wasnt that bad. I personally dont like cloud solutions so am a little biased!
        Google mail as part of the online docs suite is a total and utter waste of space. Firstly it doesn't work proply unless you use Chrome, then you have to turn off conversations or it's completely unusable.

Uploading docs to a specific folder in the hierarchy? Forget it. No matter where you choose to upload to it always uploads to root, then you need to do a seperate move.

Utter utter wank.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

If they use Google Docs to do everything, then it shouldn't be too bad. The problem comes when you try to use it to edit Word documents (particularly those with a .docx extension) or the like.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If they use Google Docs to do everything, then it shouldn't be too bad. The problem comes when you try to use it to edit Word documents (particularly those with a .docx extension) or the like.
            So basically it's tulip then.

Comment

Yep. It is utter utter tulipe. Seriously.
              Not used it but if it's Google that sounds about right.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Google mail as part of the online docs suite is a total and utter waste of space. Firstly it doesn't work proply unless you use Chrome, then you have to turn off conversations or it's completely unusable.

Uploading docs to a specific folder in the hierarchy? Forget it. No matter where you choose to upload to it always uploads to root, then you need to do a seperate move.

Utter utter wank.
                gmail is a great tool and works well on all modern browsers I tried it on as well as on iPad.

I wouldn't use gdocs as a replacement for Word by any stretch, or for complex spreadsheets but for simple ones with formulae but no macros it is pretty neat.

Switching 100% to gdocs... unless it's a business which never creates complex docs that soundsa non-no, but switching to google for email is certainly a good option. I suggest you simply don't know how to use it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X