• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For Campers, Cookers, Scimpers and Pyromaniacs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Campers, Cookers, Scimpers and Pyromaniacs

I vaguely knew "hobo" ovens existed, which can be made from tin cans or a £1 stainless steel cutlery holder, and for which there is a loyal and industrious following, but there are a whole raft of other wood burners out there of which many designs are quite remarkably effective.

Check these babes out:

'Ikea' Hobo Oven

Wild Woodgas Stove MK II | Wood-gas camping stoves | Wild Stoves

Stainless Steel 'Base Camp' Kelly Kettle® (1.5 Ltr / 2.6 Pint): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Rocket stove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And they all run on a few small sticks. Boil a pint of water in a few minutes with no need to carry gas or other fuel, or have to pay for it.

Lots of variants of the above exist.

I bought the wood gas stove and couldn't resist trying it out immediately with a few sticks. It was soon looking like a little jet engine, with flames reaching about a foot high, emitting terrific heat that you'd hardy attribute to a few sticks, almost smokelessly after 30 seconds or so as it gets up to speed (more massive sticks would burn slower and for longer). Quite remarkable.

Just remind me never to sit next to you at a CUK do when you've been roughing it for the weekend.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Just remind me never to sit next to you at a CUK do when you've been roughing it for the weekend.
      So you don't like the faint whiff of burning wood (I doubt that, as man has evolved to like the whiff of smoke), but yet are happy to smell like something that has been sat in a sweaty smoke filled caravan with assorted trapped food cooking aromas wafting around for weeks on end?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        So you don't like the faint whiff of burning wood (I doubt that, as man has evolved to like the whiff of smoke), but yet are happy to smell like something that has been sat in a sweaty smoke filled caravan with assorted trapped food cooking aromas wafting around for weeks on end?
        No. I quite like the faint whiff of burning wood. The charcoal. A faint aroma of a sweet carbon air. Nothing nicer. It's just that people who have that subtle aroma of chargrilled wood also have the distinct whiff of body odour, ammonia & excrement mixed into their week long unchanged clothes thats all.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No. I quite like the faint whiff of burning wood. The charcoal. A faint aroma of a sweet carbon air. Nothing nicer. It's just that people who have that subtle aroma of chargrilled wood also have the distinct whiff of body odour, ammonia & excrement mixed into their week long unchanged clothes thats all.
          Where I go involves quite a lengthy dip in the sea at least once a day and a shower as soon as possible after that to remove the sea salt, etc. Most camp sites, and many beaches, have showers too.

Comment

You might want to forward your observations to [email protected]

Comment

Ooooooh!!! You mean that Base Camp kelly thingy TW?

I might investigate this! I've used a tiny stove using white wax burners but it was pretty useless. This look much better

I also have a trangia but carrying the meths is a pain.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Ooooooh!!! You mean that Base Camp kelly thingy TW?

I might investigate this! I've used a tiny stove using white wax burners but it was pretty useless. This look much better
                Yes, I was mightily impressed by that design too (check out the Amazon review statistics). But it's a bit big for lugging up and down hills and is more designed for heating fluids. It does that extremely effectively though apparently, using few sticks I gather (3 minutes!). Google (or Amazon) "Storm kettle".

Comment

That one there called the rocket stove, is one of the most efficient cookers known to man. It's an old design that has been rediscovered in the last few years, it has lots of 'akas'

its basically a chimney that heats the content from the inside, thus reducing heat loss massively.

When we used one it was known as a 'paddy stove', because the Irish farmers and travellers favoured it. My dad also saw the Arabs use it in the desert, burning camel-sh1te

my dad used to pour a gallon of petrol into a sand filled tray then light it and use it like an open range. The Arabs used to laugh and say 'In the desert, you could feed a family for a week with that much fuel'

My dad used to point to the lumps of dried camel sh1te and say 'Thats nothing, In Liverpool you could feed two families for a week with that much camel sh1te'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm now looking up DIY rocket stoves.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X