• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outsourcing again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outsourcing again

I'm contracting for a investment bank and my boss has recently taken the approach to hire consultants from two offshore companies (like Wipro, iGate and TCS). Luckily no 3rd round of 10% cuts in contractors rates.

£300 per day plus expenses, thats what Wipro, iGate and TCS are charging my bank.

In 2 months time I will be training 4 Indian contractors to do my job.

To be honest, I don't think helping these people to learn do my job is a good thing. The quicker I train them, the quicker I'll lose my job.

What's wrong with senior management, thousands of UK graduates and people out of work in this country; and they've decided to hire people from India, fly them over here to the UK, pay their expenses and give £300 a day to TCS and iGate for each person my bank hires...

I hope senior management choke on their bonus.

No wonder countries like the UK and US can't create jobs in the service sector.

Although outsourcing in the service sector is nothing new, can't they see this is a invisible import cost and harmful towards our economy. If you start outsourcing skilled jobs overseas, then you will absolutely erode the current UK knowledge base and stop any future growth in training new graduates. In addition, the end result will be more people on the dole and claiming state benefits.

I'm guessing, yes there are some experienced consultants from TCS and iGate, but it just sucks to hear and see how management thinks.

Personally, I think senior management just can't stand UK contractors like me earning more than them.

The guy in the clip reminds me of my backstabbing permie co-worker that i sit next to. Useless Hippo!

Maybe Hippo and senior management have been watching this outsourcing youtube clip:

More American Workers Outsourcing Own Jobs Overseas - YouTube

I think its time to move on.
    Last edited by NoPaddle; 19 May 2012, 11:48.

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by NoPaddle View Post
      In 2 months time I will be training 4 Indian contractors to do my job.

To be honest, I don't think helping these people to learn do my job is a good thing. The quicker I train them, the quicker I'll lose my job.
      It's called being professional. Just like stringing work out or deliberately choosing technology for a new project that will take longer is unprofessional, so is that.

What's wrong with senior management, thousands of UK graduates and people out of work in this country
      Sorry to break this to you but a company doesn't exist to be nice and fluffy and help others. It exists to make a profit. Often, making a profit means hiring staff which helps the local economy, but that's a happy coincidence only.

they've decided to hire people from India, fly them over here to the UK, pay their expenses and give £300 a day to TCS and iGate for each person my bank hires...
      Why don't you tell them they can get decent local resources for £300/day?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm more than happy to hire and train a UK citizen and have also suggested a few experienced UK candidates to take these roles at £300 a day, but senior management are just not interested.
        Last edited by NoPaddle; 19 May 2012, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPaddle View Post
          I'm more than happy to hire and train a UK citizen and have also suggested a few experienced UK candidates to take these roles at £300 a day, but senior management are just not interested.
          Oh well, keep calm and carry on invoicing.

Comment

This is the wave and there's nothing anybody can do about it. Short of total economic collaspse with uneployment over 20% forcing the gotvt into emergency protectionist measures, this kind of thing will continue. IMO business software development has gone the same way as other sectors. I def would not encourage any child of mine to study anything related to IT at Uni. it's a dead end

Comment

This had better be a British investment bank you're talking about, or else you really have no argument at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                This had better be a British investment bank you're talking about, or else you really have no argument at all.
                yes..

Comment

This has been going on for more than a decade so am not sure why you are so surprised. Is it just because you watched it from afar whilst it happened in retail, insurance, councils etc up and down the country and thought your investment bank was safe?

It's a tidal wave that has gained so much momentum over the last few years I don't think there is any way of stopping it short of some extreme legislation changes that realistically are just not going to happen.

Comment

Move on to the next wave while it's still a ripple.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X