• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad

Ok, I've read two similar threads but still not sure if I can buy an iPad through my company or not.
    I already have a laptop which I use for accounting & web development (part of my plan B) but feel I could get a lot of use out of an iPad for website reference as well as using it for webmail for the main part of my business. Would also be useful for seeing my websites on a tablet etc as this seems to be the way the world is going.
    Big question is that it wouldn't be used 100% for business (although my laptop isn't either) so can I buy it through the company?
    Has anybody done this or anybody have a decent opinion without the 'jokes' thrown in please?

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    Ok, I've read two similar threads but still not sure if I can buy an iPad through my company or not.
    I already have a laptop which I use for accounting & web development (part of my plan B) but feel I could get a lot of use out of an iPad for website reference as well as using it for webmail for the main part of my business. Would also be useful for seeing my websites on a tablet etc as this seems to be the way the world is going.
    Big question is that it wouldn't be used 100% for business (although my laptop isn't either) so can I buy it through the company?
    Has anybody done this or anybody have a decent opinion without the 'jokes' thrown in please?
    Hi Gaz_M,

A very good question. Welcome to General. I asked the exact same of my accountant only two days ago. His response was

You would need to be able to prove that the ipad was used for 100% business use and "NOT AVAILABLE for private use". this is more than just stating that there was no private use. This is very difficult for a one man company.
    Yet he stated the iPhones could be put through the books no problem.

Well the reason I bought the iPad was because I am flitting around a lot from meeting to meeting and it is the perfect tool for managing my workload on the hop. So I am mostly going to be using it at work, and probly 5% of the time for home use - as when I get home I have a laptop to use for surfing, facebooking etc.

So in short, according to my accountant, no. I am not convinced and bought it on my company credit card and set the iCare up in the company name. If I genuinely can't then the purchase will go on my directors loan account and be charged 21% corp tax so I'm not too fussed.

I am speaking with him tomorrow so will let you know what we conclude.

Good luck.

Suity

PS Do you like films about gladiators?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Hi Gaz_M,

A very good question. Welcome to General. I asked the exact same of my accountant only two days ago. His response was

Yet he stated the iPhones could be put through the books no problem.

Well the reason I bought the iPad was because I am flitting around a lot from meeting to meeting and it is the perfect tool for managing my workload on the hop. So I am mostly going to be using it at work, and probly 5% of the time for home use - as when I get home I have a laptop to use for surfing, facebooking etc.

So in short, according to my accountant, no. I am not convinced and bought it on my company credit card and set the iCare up in the company name. If I genuinely can't then the purchase will go on my directors loan account and be charged 21% corp tax so I'm not too fussed.

I am speaking with him tomorrow so will let you know what we conclude.

Good luck.

Suity

PS Do you like films about gladiators?
      I don't know where your accountant got the idea from because you can have them if you have a business reason. If thats the case its

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
      As long as the private use is incidental, then there is no duality, sam as a laptop. Amount of incidental use doesn't matter either.
      For those interested (no one) I picked up a two week old 32gb 3g ipad 2 off a forum second hand for peanuts. At just over half the price of a the new 3g equivalent I'll let HMRC argue the point if they want to.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Stop worrying and get one and use it strictly 100% for business purposes as you've described.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Stop worrying and get one and use it strictly 100% for business purposes as you've described.
          WHS. AtW isn't scared of HMRC he puts loads of stuff through he shouldn't but always says 'Feck them! I'm to clever to be caught by them'.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            WHS. AtW isn't scared of HMRC he puts loads of stuff through he shouldn't but always says 'Feck them! I'm to clever to be caught by them'.
            Shouldn't you have ****ed off to the states by now?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I am not worried because I am not an employee in disguise and my iPad is staying firmly on my work desk in a proper office (paying actual business rates on it)

Comment

Hmmm, well, I got a couple of genuine answers before another thread descended into the usual side splitting jokes.

suityou01 & eek - do you feel accountants don't really know the answer to this as I've also heard 'as long it's mainly for business use' & 'it has to be 100% business use' from two contractors who said they asked their accountants.

It seems a very grey area with no definitive answer.

Comment

It's pretty definitive - if you plan to get device for your personal use then don't do it through the company, but if it's 100% for business use then get it.

Comment

Hmmm, well, I got a couple of genuine answers before another thread descended into the usual side splitting jokes.

suityou01 & eek - do you feel accountants don't really know the answer to this as I've also heard 'as long it's mainly for business use' & 'it has to be 100% business use' from two contractors who said they asked their accountants.

Its a grey area because HMRC haven't defined the purpose of tablet devices and some accountants are more risk adverse than others. Personally I had a reason to justify the purchase (app development I've outsourced to the Ukraine and as I'm responsible I'm claiming it for testing and risk mitigation purposes).
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X