• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad Apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad Apps

So I bought one

iPad3, black, 64GB, Wifi. Any good apps I need? I'm mostly after time management, workload etc etc so boring stuff. I'm not aversed to fun stuff though.

So, please help me out here, what do the panel use on their iPads?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Get one of those CUK Sockie Manager v1.5 by MF - it's well worth the money

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      RichardCranium also recommends this
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        So I bought one

iPad3, black, 64GB, Wifi. Any good apps I need? I'm mostly after time management, workload etc etc so boring stuff. I'm not aversed to fun stuff though.

So, please help me out here, what do the panel use on their iPads?
        Will the wifi work in all the offices you will be working in over the next year? Its why I went for the 32gb 3g version (that and the ridiculous price I paid for it).

As for apps you want a pdf reader (iannotate or goodreader), pages and keynotes. you can also save 20% off itunes voucher by buying the codes off ebay.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Take out the premium version. You get 5 free Sockie accounts, plus a bonus one already with 1000 posts.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Take out the premium version. You get 5 free Sockie accounts, plus a bonus one already with 1000 posts.
            WHS

It even sends SMS when your sockie gets banned...

Comment

Not sure why you'd need a 3rd party PDF reader as iOS supports PDF natively. However ReaddleDocs supports a wide range of filetypes in addition to PDF, and also lets you browse documents on your local servers (if configured appropriately, e.g. WebDAV, SFTP etc.) and on the internet.

Glancing through my task bar to see what I've been using: TVCatchup is a handy free app for watching broadcast telly (despite the name, it isn't a catchup or recording app); it's roughly Freeview's channel lineup, I think. FilmOn is basically the same thing, also free.

BBC iPlayer app is good, also Channel 4. There are also reasonable apps for ITV and Channel 5 if you watch them. All of those are catch-up viewing apps, although iPlayer also does live BBC TV and radio. TV Guide is handy if you don't buy the Radio Times regularly.

Kindle if you ever buy ebooks from Amazon; it will automatically sync your content with the desktop version and an actual Kindle device if you have one. Also iBooks, and Stanza is another decent book app. For Google Books, Play Books is the app.

Amazon Windowshop is pretty good for shopping at Amazon, although the site works perfectly well in Safari anyway.

Dropbox is handy, and the Dropbox API is used by a number of other apps to let you store/retrieve stuff cloudily.

Pages, Numbers, Keynote if you want to edit docs of various kind (word processing, spreadsheets and presentations respectively). iPhoto. GarageBand if you want to make music. Paper is a nice app for freehand sketching, free with in-app purchase of additional tools. CloudOn gives you access to a Windows VM running MS Office, if you need that.

iMotion HD if you want to make and edit stop-motion animations using the iPad camera (the high quality one on the back, obviously)

If you want to SSH into servers then Prompt is far and away the best terminal app. Textastic is a good code editor for documents on remote servers (FTP/SFTP and so forth).

If you do Twitter, Tweetbot is the best iPad app.

LimeChat if you do IRC.

Instapaper for offline reading of web pages.

AirDisplay if you want to use the iPad as a second monitor for your Mac; this works over wifi so you don't need a cable.

Minds of Math from IBM if you're a maths geek: "an interactive history of maths from 1000 to 1950". Can't remember if it's free or not; I think it was.

TED is the easiest way of viewing TED talk videos.

iTunes U is the best way of getting at a huge amount of educational material on all subjects from many of the top universities in the world, available free from Apple.

Tube Deluxe HD if you ever go to London.

Fun stuff: PlaneFinder HD and PlaneFinder AR (real-time plane spotting). If you go to the seaside, try ShipFinder. Pocket Universe HD (astronomy).

Viz Comic - buy individual issues, or do what I did and subscribe.

NASA - loads of good stuff in their app, including live and archive NASA TV.

PinballArcade is the best pinball emulator: it emulates real classic pinball machines, with more being added all the time. Angry Birds HD, and particularly Angry Birds Space, are excellent time wasters.

Monty Python's Holy Grail app is an interactive book with outtakes and such. It will also act as a remote control and synchronised read-along app when watching the new BluRay release, assuming your BluRay player is on the same wifi network.

X-Plane is the best flight sim going; the original Mac version has for many years been approved for civilian pilot training by the FAA.

That's a few to start with.

Oh, one more: KFC Finder is really an iPhone app, but it'll still tell you where the nearest KFC is

Comment

My personal faves are games

Airport Mania
                Peggle
                ContreJour
                FlightControl HD

Comment

Nice suggestions lads for suity's accountant to determine if this expense is wholy and exclusively necessary for his business

Comment

For you Suity I think the only things you'll be needing :

Family Doctor - Symptoms and Diagnosis
                    and
                    Toilet Finder!

as you always seem to be knocking on deaths door or/and have a dose of the screaming tulips.

Comment

Working...
                    X