• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electricity Bills Set To Rise To Pay For Wind Farm Subsidies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity Bills Set To Rise To Pay For Wind Farm Subsidies

Link

Household electricity bills will rise by as much as a quarter to pay for wind
    farms and other forms of renewable energy....
    ...and the further desecration of our glorious countryside

Nuclear wouldn't be free either.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Link

...and the further desecration of our glorious countryside
      The report is a load of scaremongering carp supported by poor research and the fossil fuel & nuclear industry.

Obviously designed to sway those without the intelligence to think for themselves.
      If wind farms were not cost effective, why would hundreds of private investers invest Billions of £'s in them.
      Trust me, as somebody working in the industry on three of the largest wind farm projects in the world. the subsidies are a few million. the windfarms are costing billions and excellent profitable returns are predicted at TODAYS prices within 7 - 10 years without further subsidies or rises in cost of electricity generated by the wind turbines.

Nuclear on the other hand....................I have already given the true cost of Nuclear on here, so won't bore you with it again.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        The report is a load of scaremongering carp supported by poor research and the fossil fuel & nuclear industry.

Obviously designed to sway those without the intelligence to think for themselves.
        If wind farms were not cost effective, why would hundreds of private investers invest Billions of £'s in them.
        Trust me, as somebody working in the industry on three of the largest wind farm projects in the world. the subsidies are a few million. the windfarms are costing billions and excellent profitable returns are predicted at TODAYS prices within 7 - 10 years without further subsidies or rises in cost of electricity generated by the wind turbines.

Nuclear on the other hand....................I have already given the true cost of Nuclear on here, so won't bore you with it again.
        Oh OK!..............

Nuclear key facts
        Previousely it had been announced;
        EDF intends to build four new EPR reactors (amounting to 6.4GW) at Hinkley Point and Sizewell;
        Horizon Nuclear Power (a joint venture between RWE and E.ON) had set out plans for at least 6GW of new nuclear capacity at Wylfa and Oldbury. RWE and Eon (Horizon nuclear power’s parent companies) have announced on Thursday 29th March 2012 that they are withdrawing from new nuclear investment in the UK and are selling Horizon and these sites.
        NuGeneration, a consortium of GDF SUEZ SA and Iberdrola SA, has set out plans to build up to 3.6GW of new nuclear capacity at Moorside

Capital costs are estimated to be 6 times that of building offshore wind farms generating the same output, factoring in availibility (wind). annual costs in subsidies for decommissioning nuclear power stations and managing nuclear waste, which cost taxpayers £7bn in 2010 are estimated to average out at £3,2 billion a year for the life of these power stations.
        Annual cost in subsidies for operating the offshore wind farms = £0 of taxpayers money.

and if there is an incident that destroys the wind farm, nobody gets irradiated and it isn't a total ecological disaster lasting years and affecting generations like Nuclear power station accidents and incidents;

2011 Fukushima 5 Japan Reactor shutdown after the 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami; failure of emergency cooling caused an explosion
        2011 Onagawa Japan Reactor shutdown after the 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami caused a fire
        2006 Fleurus 4 Belgium Severe health effects for a worker at a commercial irradiation facility as a result of high doses of radiation
        2006 Forsmark 2 Sweden Degraded safety functions for common cause failure in the emergency power supply system at nuclear power plant
        2006 Erwin US Thirty-five litres of a highly enriched uranium solution leaked during transfer
        2005 Sellafield 3 UK Release of large quantity of radioactive material, contained within the installation
        2005 Atucha 2 Argentina Overexposure of a worker at a power reactor exceeding the annual limit
        2005 Braidwood US Nuclear material leak
        2003 Paks 3 Hungary Partially spent fuel rods undergoing cleaning in a tank of heavy water ruptured and spilled fuel pellets
        1999 Tokaimura 4 Japan Fatal overexposures of workers following a criticality event at a nuclear facility
        1999 Yanangio 3 Peru Incident with radiography source resulting in severe radiation burns
        1999 Ikitelli 3 Turkey Loss of a highly radioactive Co-60 source
        1999 Ishikawa 2 Japan Control rod malfunction
        1993 Tomsk 4 Russia Pressure buildup led to an explosive mechanical failure
        1993 Cadarache 2 France Spread of contamination to an area not expected by design
        1989 Vandellos 3 Spain Near accident caused by fire resulting in loss of safety systems at the nuclear power station
        1989 Greifswald Germany Excessive heating which damaged ten fuel rods
        1986 Chernobyl 7 Ukraine (USSR) Widespread health and environmental effects. External release of a significant fraction of reactor core inventory

No brainer really

Comment

I was interested to hear that Cameron is to look at the Severn Barrage. It could be a wonder of the world and we are lucky to have this on our doorstep.

Then I looked at the company who is a leading contender to do project and I've rarely seen such an empty website:

Welcome to Corlan Hafren

Nice and minimalist, but I wanted a touch more info about the barrage proposal than that.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I was interested to hear that Cameron is to look at the Severn Barrage. It could be a wonder of the world and we are lucky to have this on our doorstep.

Then I looked at the company who is a leading contender to do project and I've rarely seen such an empty website:

Welcome to Corlan Hafren

Nice and minimalist, but I wanted a touch more info about the barrage proposal than that.
            I still have All of the original research and the various proposals. also most of the data from the EIA's and from the metering on the Usk, Ebbw and the Severn etc.

Comment

These windmills will be a testement to the folly of greenism, when their rusting useless hulks lie still once the subsidies are gone.
              I have seen it in California, one quarter of them ,not turning, blades missing, useless

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                These windmills will be a testement to the folly of greenism, when their rusting useless hulks lie still once the subsidies are gone.
                I have seen it in California, one quarter of them ,not turning, blades missing, useless

What subsidies?

Don't make a statement without giving the facts

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  What subsidies?

Don't make a statement without giving the facts
                  yawn
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Yawn.................Figures please not grandstanding statements

Comment

Working...
                    X